Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, April 15, 2013

And we're back. Monday.

--My home machine caught a little virus. I fought it, thought that I won, and finally went Slash And Burn, and used the recovery discs to reset my hard drive to factory settings. Man, I wish I'd created the recovery disk when I bought it. For $30, I was able to get the discs sent pretty quickly to me from Acer. Apparently, that's cheap, these days.

--Today is the birthday Leonhard Euler, who among other things came up with the most simple equation to utilize the mathematical constants e, i, pi, 1, and zero. A trig professor I had once offered a free A for the semester to anyone who could write a proof for that identity. I checked out 3 books on the subject, and went to work. A week later, I got tired-head, and quit. I got a C in that class.
--As our greatest generation fades away, I cannot stress enough how important it is that we view such pieces as this amazing video, and realize that Granddad and Great Granddad were young, once.
Also, to help us remember what it was like to see an end to a war.


--A company called Myriad is arguing that a patent should be issued for its isolation of the BRCA1 gene. I'm a fan of patents for medical discovery and processes, because that creates the profit motive which stimulates new R&D. But you can't patent nature. Myriad did not create this gene-- they simply discovered its bounds. This is akin to patenting a star which one found in a telescope. Name it, sure. But it ain't yours to charge usage fees for me looking at it, after you point it out.

--High of 87 degrees here today. Humid.

--I heard a "Welfare Concern" call go out over the radio, of a topless woman walking down the highway before dawn. I'll bet that got some response from the cops in her area. But  what were they going to do? It's not illegal to be topless in public in Texas. Maybe they were going to call her a traffic hazard. Or use the tired threat of Disorderly Conduct. (Behavior others might find to be offensive.)

--The Eleven Year-Old In The House had a birthday sleepover this weekend, and invited 5 other 11 year-olds to the house. As a buffer, The Fourteen Year-Old In The House invited her best friend over for a sleepover, as well. We had 5 pizzas, lots of soda, a birthday pie, some spooky kid movies, and Just Dance 4. There may or may not be an MP4 extant which documents my own entry into the dance-off that occurred in my living room. The Nentendo Wii declared me to be the loser of that event. There was also a stationary bicycle sprint race, which I won (I had to redeem myself somehow.).  The girls then held (I'm not kidding, here) a spelling bee and a geo trivia quiz tournament. Then they played "Slender Man." I didn't know what this was, and one of the girls whipped out an iPad to show me the creepy first-person game derived from the apparently ancient (by Internet standards) meme. How did I miss this? The girls played a version that involved notes left around the house, as they played hide and seek.

--I fell off the wagon with regard to my little diet, this weekend. Before that, I was losing about a pound a day. I'm back, though.

--Tax day. We had some complications, but filed about a month ago. We got $1000 back, which went directly into debt abatement. My wife is irritated that the refund isn't bigger. I'm irritated that we made a no-interest loan to the federal government for so long.

--That $150 riding mower that I bought a couple of months ago is working like a house afire. The guy that I bought it from said that he felt that it cut too rough. He must be picky; it is made of win, from what I can see.

--Due to work conflicts, I may have to miss the NRA convention this year, and it's in Houston. I has a sad. I mostly want to see my friends.


--Flirting with the statewide Child Protective Services intake lady over the phone is just another little service that I perform for people with soul-crushing-yet necessary jobs. I'm afraid that I do discriminate based on gender, though. Sorry.

--I talked to a CPS investigator today who said that her job was way better than teaching, for her. I told her about my friend who told me that he found combat in Afghanistan to be less stressful than teaching urban high school kids. But then I've got friends who should always be teachers. It takes all kinds.

--I've been watching my carbs. I can't express how much I want a PBJ and a bag of Cheetos, right now.





 

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Monday, April 15, 2013 2:41:00 PM, Blogger eriko said...

One way to better protect your computer is to separate the admin and user accounts. The default account has full admin rights and this is how a lot of viruses take over the computer. So use this first account to create one or more other accounts with just User permissions and use these accounts on a day to day basis. When you need to installer software right click on the file and select run as Administrator and it will ask you for the username and password of that first (or any others that you created) account to do the install. This also stops your kids from installing extra junk. Just a thought

 
At Monday, April 15, 2013 3:07:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

A good piece of advice.

Which I have done for years.

 
At Monday, April 15, 2013 5:51:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Maybe I need to move to Texas, after all. Sounds positively enlightened.

Less stressful, and, less dangerous, Matt. None were ever dumb enough to assault me- I guess I just look like a fighter- but I was pulling kids off each other every week.

 
At Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could see a topless woman creating a traffic hazard. Especially if she is in a place where you do not expect to see pedestrians.

LittleRed1

 
At Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wouldn't investigate a call of a half naked woman just to make sure that she's not MHMR, on drugs, recently kicked out of a car during a domestic assault, etc?

 
At Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:56:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Well dang... Hate to hear that, but one does what one must to pay the bills...

 
At Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:54:00 AM, Blogger Kristophr said...

Admin accounts don't help that much, as Windows still assumes the person at the machine owns it:

http://xkcd.com/1200/

Keep two PCs.

A windows machine for strictly game playing. Browser is only used for game and driver updates.

Load LINUX on the machine that you use for email, web browsing, and general internet stuff. Or even get a Mac for that purpose.

 
At Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:58:00 AM, Blogger Kristophr said...

And isn't it amazing how tempting an order of fries or a bag of chips gets when you restrict carbs?

Your body wants to do anything else but use ketosis to turn fats into glucose.

 
At Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Jay G said...

I'd heard rumors that you would be unable to attend in Houston.

Now who's going to administer my field sobriety test?

 
At Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Or be your civil partner, Jay? (Note that we don't just coincidentally have the same web
surname...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.