Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday Afternoon Random Thoughts

  • --If you're going to try to kill yourself, don't do it in a way that will take out people that you've never met before, such as driving the wrong way down the highway.  And if your car's been involved in a minor accident on a highway, do everything you can to stop that minor accident from becoming a major accident. Get your hazard lights on immediately. Get the vehicle well off the road. Don't stand in traffic or between vehicles if you're on the side of the road. Recognize that just because you can see the cars, they don't necessarily see you.
  • --I wonder if that guy Brooks is going to be regretful of giving a full interview to the Fort Worth Star Telegram later, once lawyers are involved. I hope not; he's a victim in this.
  • --Active gunwriter and retired Texas lawman Jim Wilson (a longtime friend of my father's) was collecting input from people's experiences with full-length guide rods, to include in a piece that he was writing for Shooting Illustrated's blog.  I sent him a link to my thoughts on the subject, written... can it be three years ago, now?!? I think he'd pretty much finished his post before he saw my post, though. :)
  • --Speaking of gun stuff, I've yet to ask my .32-obsessed friend if she's played with any of the new Buffalo Bore .327 Federal loads, yet. Given the sectional density and the velocity, that load actually has some promise. Sadly, most don't seem to appreciate this interesting concept, writing it off as "just another .32."
  • --I wonder if the pressures are low enough for a 6-shot airweight J-frame in .327 Federal? There's room enough for 6 rounds of .32 H&R Mag, but I wonder if the chamber walls are too thin at the .327 pressures? Increasing your capacity by 20% would certainly create a viable argument for the round. Come to think of it, I'd be in the market. Carry with the .327 rounds in it, shoot matches with .32 S&W Longs in it. Carry in my existing J Frame holsters.
  • --I just got off the phone with a DA who, along with me, cannot understand what would be going through the mind of a person who would take a solid DWI case to court, when there's good video of the infractions leading to the stop, good video of the roadside investigation, and a warrant issued for the driver's blood, with high BAC results. Generally, the rule is, "If she bleeds, she pleads."If I were such a driver, I'd be afraid of a year in jail, in a jury trial.  You just never know.
  • --Due to a portable greenhouse that my wife erected over a garden plot in our yard, we've got good-sized tomatoes ripening on the vine, despite a couple of hard frosts that we've had here. We just brought in the squash and okra and zucchini that was outside of the greenhouse. Their time is done.
  • --My daughter has a rabbit, now, for FFA. As it is a "show rabbit," it came with a lineage printed out. Don't think that didn't cost me.
  • --Until the outside hutch is built, the rabbit is in an indoor cage, with a slide-out tray with kitty litter in it. This is in direct violation of the "no litter boxes in my house" rule. That hutch needs to go up, in a hurry.
  • --If you're keeping track at home, that means that the G household now has: Three chickens scratching (only one laying), two cats a-lounging, one rabbit pooping, and a five year-old goldfish named Alice.
  • --I just got fitted yesterday for bunker gear, and now have a shiny new pager. We'll see how this goes.
  • --I went to a class yesterday put on by a prosecutor on juvenile legal procedure. I wish all such in-service classes were as genuinely useful to my job as this one was.
  • --I also wish that haters of the criminal justice system could have seen that room full of professional men and women of various corners of the CJS, who all were trying to get it right, rather than just to get the conviction. The prosecutors talked a lot about fairness, and giving the juvenile offenders their due rights, and the cops nodded to that, a lot. But the stereotype persists, of the cop who cares about nothing more than the arrest and the prosecutor who cares about nothing more than the conviction. I don't think that I saw anything out of the ordinary, but it's not talked about a lot.
  • --I watched the live-action version of my childhood favorite cartoon Star Blazers on YouTube the other night. When I first had heard of the Japanese live-action movie Space Battleship Yamato, I was excited. They have no plans of making an American version, and are contractually forbidden from dubbing it into English. So subtitles in English are as good as you'll get. Derek Wildstar Susumu Kodai is cast as darker than the American take of the cartoon. Nova Yuki Mori is at the same time less the token female (she's a fighter pilot), and more so (she's predictably Kodai's love interest) in this version. There's some cheesey stuff going on there. For all that, I liked it, and my wife caught me walking around humming or even singing the old theme to Star Blazers, which was used throughout this movie.  (The music, not the words. And Steven Tyler of Aerosmith did the closing theme. Odd.)

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:14:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure you're aware, that rabbit's not done costing you. Not by a long shot.

 
At Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:05:00 PM, Anonymous cybrus said...

Heh - I like your "no litter box" rule.

And congrats on joining a VFD - you guys run an engine, a truck, both, or some other combo?

 
At Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:53:00 PM, Blogger pax said...

We have indoor cats and no litter box inside the house, but we cheated: we put in a pet door that leads to a large enclosed box on the outside wall. The box has a hinged lid for easy litter changes, there's no smell (or litter tracking!) in the house at all, and the cats can't get out to get squished on the road.

 
At Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITA with Suz, actual cost of one small rodent is a few dollars, all the cr*p the rodent needs: endless $$$!

Luv yer blog - please write more often!

murgatr

 
At Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:45:00 AM, Blogger ZerCool said...

May I point you, then, to the S&W Model 632, SKU #178046?

Admittedly not an airweight, it's a stainless frame/cylinder/barrel arrangement, but I have to believe that it's entirely possible to put this together with either an Airweight or Airlite frame, as they are putting .357 in such beasts.

Still: 6x.327 in a 23oz J-snub... yes, I am tempted. Have been since I first saw it.

 
At Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:03:00 PM, Blogger elmo iscariot said...

I think a lot of people are hesitant to invest in a new gun firing a weird cartridge that may not be manufactured in five years, just to get one more round in the cylinder.

If S&W announced a new five-shot .327 pocket revolver smaller than the J-Frame, my wife Danielle and I would preorder it today. I understand why that ain't gonna happen, but it's a shame.

 
At Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:28:00 PM, Blogger Justthisguy said...

Good cops and good prosecutors are like good drivers; nobody notices them. As the Mexicans say, "God will pay you."

On the bunny: Keep a sharp eye on it when it is out of the cage. I knew a guy whose daughter kept an indoor bunny with free range of the house, and the damn' critter nibbled all of the buttons off of his TV remote control. Annoyed the cat, too, that bunny did.

 
At Friday, December 02, 2011 6:57:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Rabbit... the OTHER white meat :-) Sounds like a good week overall though!

 
At Friday, December 02, 2011 9:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bunker gear! There's always room in the brotherhood for another good man. Good job!

 
At Saturday, December 03, 2011 9:07:00 AM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

Glad to know all is well in your world, litter boxes and all.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 3:33:00 PM, Anonymous LabRat said...

'ware when the season changes and high temperatures hit and make sure your bunny's hutch is not in direct sunlight, with plenty of water available. Domestic rabbits don't have the heat-shedding capabilities of our wild cottontails and jacks, and it is all too easy to cook your bunny in summer.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Hank said...

I've only met one cop who wouldn't persecute me for my personal choices in medication, recreation, and religion. So long as the "criminal justice system" treats citizens exercising their rights of life, liberty, and property as though they are criminals the criminal justice system will be hated (by me and a wide variety of citizens many of whom you'd never suspect of such emotions and thoughts).

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 3:20:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Hank, it sounds like you're mad at the CJS for enforcing laws on drugs. I don't know many cops who wouldn't be fine with our legislature dropping some archaic laws that were first proposed during Prohibition.

The same folks who laid out laws saying that your neighbor couldn't jack your stuff or molest your children are the folks who laid out the laws that you don't like the cops enforcing.

The CJS isn't part of the legislative system. Hate the game, not the players.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 7:19:00 PM, Blogger Hank said...

"Hank, it sounds like you're mad at the CJS for enforcing laws on drugs."

That's only the start of it. I didn't mention how cops lied to me and my family when I was 5 and destroyed my family in a witch hunt. I could write dozens of books detailing the many reasons why people hate the "justice" system. I'm actually working on my first one currently.

"The same folks who laid out laws"

Not true. We had an imperfect but decent system of law and government until the 20th century and the new administrative/feudal law replaced our Constitutional/common law system. The people who wrote the new system were not the same people of prior centuries.

"Hate the game, not the players."

When the players are liable to cause me grave injury or death in a game I never agreed to play - I hate them too.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

"When the players are liable to cause me grave injury or death in a game I never agreed to play - I hate them too."

"Liable" can mean "apt", or it can mean "being in a position to incur."

Yeah, a cop's in a position to incur those things. So is most anyone. Apt to, though? Your way of life is too exciting for me, I guess.

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:31:00 PM, Anonymous Stingray said...

I've only met one cop who wouldn't persecute me for my personal choices in medication, recreation,

And if catching your next buzz is more important to you than not dealing with these horrible and corrupt po-po enforcing what is already on the books and has been since likely well before your birth and not within their power to change, then please enjoy your stupid prize for playing stupid games and don't act like a damn crybaby when you get it.

Oh. Too late.

 
At Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:14:00 AM, Blogger Mikael said...

I wonder if that .327 cartridge would be autoloader friendly... and just how many of those rounds could fit in a doublestack magazine(and how much slimmer that would be than say 9mm).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.