Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, February 11, 2011

It ain't haute cuisine, but....

When I was at Blogorado, I had a really simple appetizer that the Farm Fam prepared, that I loved. They took a large summer sausage, slit it to the center (that is to say, they made a single longitudinal sagital cut that went halfway through the width of the sausage), and stuffed the slit with canned pickled jalapeño slices. They then smoked it. What could be easier? Sliced transversely, and put on a cracker, it was Fan. Tas. Tic. A very flavorful way to feed a lot of visitors.

I mentioned this to a rather, um, heavyset friend of mine. He remarked that he likes to buy a cheap Armour summer sausage from Wal*Mart, cut it up into cubes, and put them into the left-over vinegar brine that he has when he finishes off his pickle jars of jalapeños*.

"That's it?" I asked. "You just dice the sausage into the brine?"

"That's it," assured my rotund friend. "Leave it overnight, if you can. I hurt myself, I eat so much."

I gave it a shot.

Mental note: listen to the fat man.**

_____________________________________
*A word of explanation here: it is a common tradition, in Texas, to save your mayonnaise and pickle jars when you are done with them, to be cleaned and stored until the next time you bring home a gallon can of pickled jalapeños. The jalapeños almost always come packed in an escabeche, which is a vinegar brine, with vegetables-- usually carrots and onions, but occasionally also with bay, oregano, and even cauliflower. The contents of the gallon can are then distributed to the various quart and pint jars, which are then sealed and stored. The empty can is then used for target practice.

**Make sure the meat is covered with the brine if you're going to leave it out. I put mine in the refrigerator, but it needs heating before eating, because cold fat doesn't feel right in the mouth. Lightly pan-fried, it's quite good.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Friday, February 11, 2011 11:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I like to slice a kilbasa (or whatever other sausage is on sale) in to a slow cooker with an equal amount of sliced tart apples and yams with what ever spices you like (I usually use cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cayenne). Cooks down to a tasty casserole.

 
At Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:28:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Yum is right those were EXCELLENT! I still save mayo jars, if I can get a real glass one... Guess I'm old and not trainable to the 'new' stuff :-)

 
At Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:37:00 AM, Anonymous LabRat said...

Intriguing. My favorite sandwich condiment for any cured meat is chow chow piccalilli, which is basically assorted vegetables pickled in vinegar and mustard.

From what I can tell on quick and dirty Google research, what you describe and what I buy share a common root in practice.

I now have a plan for my next sausage sandwich. Stingray may still pass, but I am now officially intrigued.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.