Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Get busy documenting.

My Sony CyberShot camera cost me $89 at Buy.Com. I had to then buy an SD card for it, and it's probably given me 1000 pics on the two AA lithium batteries that I got for it. (Trust me: those overpriced lithiums are worth the money.)

It takes decent pictures, if the light is good enough. But the thing about it is that it has a pretty decent digital video feature. If you've bought a digital camera in the last two to four years, it probably has one, too, with sound.

Use that thing. Turn the switch over to video, and record your kids, and catch them talking. Record your father, talking. Get your mother telling you some bit of family lore, or have her talk you through her method of making your favorite dish. Then upload that to your computer, and back it up with off-site storage.

The "film" is free. The memories are priceless. I recently found audio of my 12 year-old, that I made on a then-new-fangled digital recorder in 2000. It brought tears to my eyes. I wish I'd had video then.

We all know an "Uncle Jimmy," if we're lucky, and you can record treasures like this one.
(No, I didn't record it, but I wish I had, and I thank the anonymous guy who took that vid of his Uncle telling a damned funny story.)

If you're my friend or family, and it's been bugging you that I've been sticking a camera in your face, don't worry. I'm not posting them anywhere; I'm just keeping memories for me.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:26:00 PM, Blogger KD5NRH said...

Uh, yeah...that sounds like a good excuse for the spy camera pens that are getting so cheap; just documenting some memories.

'Cuz after all, it's the crappy customer service, or the salesman making too many promises that can make me feel so happy later when I share those memories with my lawyer. :)

 
At Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:53:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

That's really cynical, man.

 
At Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:30:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

LOL- Uncle Jimmy sounds SO much like my Uncle it isn't funny... And good point Matt, collect the memories any way you can.

 
At Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Uncle Jimmy is quite a character. Kind of reminds me of all those old men I grew up around...and some of the younger ones.

I think that video is one of the best excuses for me (or everybody) to go ahead and get a Flip or Kodak digital video recorder, especially since they're so cheap.

 
At Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:22:00 PM, Blogger Omnibabe said...

I'll never hear the phrase, "I know what I'm doing" again without bursting into laughter without anyone within earshot having a clue why. That was the best laugh of the entire month! Thanks a million!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.