Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mid-morning walk.

I awoke to find my house empty. I was a bit ashamed that I hadn't helped take the girls to school, but my sleep schedule is difficult to regulate, sometimes.

I answered a message left by my boss, who needed something at work. I started the coffee, got dressed, and walked to work.

On the way in, I noticed that last week's break from the summer heat was over; when it's 88 degrees and 70% humidity at 10:15 AM, it's going to get hot, before the day is over. Still, a 10 m.p.h. breeze from the south made the walk pleasant. I arrived and tended to some business at work, discussed time off for a possible hunt this October, and walked back home.

Approaching a distant neighbor's dog, I could hear him barking furiously at me from a long ways off. How dare I intrude within the scope of his master's realm?!? He has some pit in him, and some other breed that I can't identify. I walked up and petted him through the fence, and he wagged his tail. It's all a big game.

Getting home, I wistfully looked at my next door neighbor's majestic pecan trees, and then gazed derisively at my own trash trees.

There's a reason that I'm planting pecan trees of two varieties about my yard, along with fruit trees and even an almond tree. I will soon cut down some hackberry trees in my yard, despite the dense shade that one of them provides.

I stepped inside my house, frustrated that a short walk could bring sweat to my oversized brow, shaded or not. I was greeted by the cool quiet air conditioning of a distinctively empty house, and the smell of fresh coffee.

There are things to do before autumn comes.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:09:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Few things in life compare to your morning.

 
At Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:41:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

At least you have the option of 'walking' to work... sigh... :-)

 
At Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:26:00 AM, Blogger On a Wing and a Whim said...

Sounds like a nice, quiet morning. Will the trees you are planting bring shade in years or decades? Either way, I hope you enjoy the fruits, nuts, and shade to come!

 
At Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:31:00 PM, Anonymous Bill said...

Let me know if you need help with the hackberry trees. I would cut down even more of mine, but the replacement trees would be stunted by the oaks. Which is a good argument for doing it anyway, probably help out the oaks even more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.