Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine.

Monday, October 05, 2015

More of this, more of that. Mostly home.

--Having taken allergy medications, I just slept for 16 hours. No, really.


--Reviewing my kids' report cards, it appears that I need to go to the bank, because they've earned some cash. We shamelessly pay for results.  But they need to tone it down, or I'm going to need to get a second job. Maybe if I got them into World Of Warcraft, or something?


--My elder daughter got home just now. Healthy and trim, modestly-dressed, wearing the tooled belt that her granddad had bought her in her jeans and long-sleeved T shirt, with her hair pulled back, my senior in high school looked self-assured but friendly. I think that I would have wanted to be her friend, at her age. She asked me for rubber gloves, because she's helping her mother refinish some cabinets. While I found them, she looked through the mail that she had brought in, and laughed at the hoity-toity colleges sending invitations for her applications. She gets that we don't want her saddled with education debt. She's barely 17, and she gets it. I suppose that it's possible that I could be more proud of my daughter, but I can't really imagine how, realistically, just this second.


--One of my chickens is injured, badly. In just a minute, I'm going to dig a hole and do what needs doing. Yeah, I hate to waste the meat, but the injury probably ruined some, and the danged bird has a name. It will contribute to the garden. Rest in peace, Pocky. You ate a lot of bugs, and gave us a lot of eggs.


--I just found out that my middle-schooler has been taking a thermos of coffee to school with her for lunch, because she has been getting sleepy after lunch every day. That ends now. [Matt looks guiltily in the mirror as he considers what kind of bad influence he's been on his daughters.]


--My middle schooler over-dresses for school. She prefers dark silks, which she buys second-hand, and likes long skirts and full blouses. She has dyed her brown hair black, and wears it long and straight and brushed-out. She has a very different style, all her own. I don't fully understand it, but I respect that she is not falling into others' ideals of style.


--Wednesday, my wife and I go to the Great State Fair of Texas, in Dallas. We're deliberating on whether to pull the girls out of school to go, as well.


--The weather, man. It's beautiful. Guess I'll go dig a hole, shower, and go to work.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, October 05, 2015 4:31:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Oh... coffeeeeee... um... sorry, got distracted there. Congrats to y'all on raising two beautiful girls that have their heads on straight!

 
At Monday, October 05, 2015 6:11:00 PM, Blogger eriko said...

Some the schools with large endowments will subsidies costs so do not rule them out off hand.

 
At Monday, October 05, 2015 7:24:00 PM, Blogger KCSteve said...

Sorry about your chicken. It hardly matters what the pet is, the loss is still felt.

 
At Wednesday, October 07, 2015 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Alien said...

Matt, please give thanks for your blessings and blog more.

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2015 6:04:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Hey, Alien-- I posted twice in three days! That counts for something, right?!? ;)
I am thankful.

 
At Friday, October 09, 2015 8:24:00 PM, Blogger charlotte g said...

I just saw a Facebook post that said something about visiting adult children is like visiting the best parts of themselves. Two comments said more or less, so true. I was shocked.
When you were put in my arms, I loved you. You awed me then, as you do now. You always were you, and your family is what you and Chris have made, and I am so happy for all of you.
Best part of me? You all go so far beyond that, I am laughing out loud. Maybe I am weird, but I expected this to happen. Yup. My granddaughters are something special. Just gets better and better.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.