Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, October 05, 2015

More of this, more of that. Mostly home.

--Having taken allergy medications, I just slept for 16 hours. No, really.


--Reviewing my kids' report cards, it appears that I need to go to the bank, because they've earned some cash. We shamelessly pay for results.  But they need to tone it down, or I'm going to need to get a second job. Maybe if I got them into World Of Warcraft, or something?


--My elder daughter got home just now. Healthy and trim, modestly-dressed, wearing the tooled belt that her granddad had bought her in her jeans and long-sleeved T shirt, with her hair pulled back, my senior in high school looked self-assured but friendly. I think that I would have wanted to be her friend, at her age. She asked me for rubber gloves, because she's helping her mother refinish some cabinets. While I found them, she looked through the mail that she had brought in, and laughed at the hoity-toity colleges sending invitations for her applications. She gets that we don't want her saddled with education debt. She's barely 17, and she gets it. I suppose that it's possible that I could be more proud of my daughter, but I can't really imagine how, realistically, just this second.


--One of my chickens is injured, badly. In just a minute, I'm going to dig a hole and do what needs doing. Yeah, I hate to waste the meat, but the injury probably ruined some, and the danged bird has a name. It will contribute to the garden. Rest in peace, Pocky. You ate a lot of bugs, and gave us a lot of eggs.


--I just found out that my middle-schooler has been taking a thermos of coffee to school with her for lunch, because she has been getting sleepy after lunch every day. That ends now. [Matt looks guiltily in the mirror as he considers what kind of bad influence he's been on his daughters.]


--My middle schooler over-dresses for school. She prefers dark silks, which she buys second-hand, and likes long skirts and full blouses. She has dyed her brown hair black, and wears it long and straight and brushed-out. She has a very different style, all her own. I don't fully understand it, but I respect that she is not falling into others' ideals of style.


--Wednesday, my wife and I go to the Great State Fair of Texas, in Dallas. We're deliberating on whether to pull the girls out of school to go, as well.


--The weather, man. It's beautiful. Guess I'll go dig a hole, shower, and go to work.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, October 05, 2015 4:31:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Oh... coffeeeeee... um... sorry, got distracted there. Congrats to y'all on raising two beautiful girls that have their heads on straight!

 
At Monday, October 05, 2015 6:11:00 PM, Blogger eriko said...

Some the schools with large endowments will subsidies costs so do not rule them out off hand.

 
At Monday, October 05, 2015 7:24:00 PM, Blogger KCSteve said...

Sorry about your chicken. It hardly matters what the pet is, the loss is still felt.

 
At Wednesday, October 07, 2015 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Alien said...

Matt, please give thanks for your blessings and blog more.

 
At Thursday, October 08, 2015 6:04:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Hey, Alien-- I posted twice in three days! That counts for something, right?!? ;)
I am thankful.

 
At Friday, October 09, 2015 8:24:00 PM, Blogger charlotte g said...

I just saw a Facebook post that said something about visiting adult children is like visiting the best parts of themselves. Two comments said more or less, so true. I was shocked.
When you were put in my arms, I loved you. You awed me then, as you do now. You always were you, and your family is what you and Chris have made, and I am so happy for all of you.
Best part of me? You all go so far beyond that, I am laughing out loud. Maybe I am weird, but I expected this to happen. Yup. My granddaughters are something special. Just gets better and better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.