Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Revolvers.

I recently shot my qualification course for my PD recently with my little 637 Airweight. Afterward, I called my friend Joe Speer and thanked him for the good work that he had done on the trigger, and bobbing the hammer with serrations over the back of the bob. Frankly, for 50 rounds, I shot like I really knew what I was doing. I was a rock star, even though I was shooting the entire course with 158g +P loads out of a 15 oz revolver.

I could use some work on my reloads, though. If I'm only acceptable with reloads on the range, how well do I expect to be in an incident where the balloon goes up?

The single most realistic movie depiction of a revolver reload when the adrenaline is pumping is in The Silence Of The Lambs, in this scene here. Keep in mind that (temporary) Agent Starling has just gone through extensive training, and is at 27 years old probably in the best shape of her life, but she can barely get that M13 reloaded, for all the involuntary shaking.

Sure, we're seeing an actor portray it. But I've had fight-or-flight adrenaline flowing through my veins before, and my motor coordination was about like that, too. Reloading a magazine is a darned sight easier under that kind of stress.


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:32:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Excellent point Matt, and congrats on qualifying (again)! :-)

 
At Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:41:00 PM, Blogger Joe Allen said...

That was smoother than some of my IDPA reloads...

 
At Friday, December 13, 2013 6:57:00 PM, Anonymous Greg Tag said...

The adrenaline dump is pretty well depicted.

The technique depicted is not executed very well. I dont think Jodi Foster practiced a lot.

On the other hand, for revolver reloads the best method might be the Jim Cirillo method - drop the empty revolver and draw the next one.

Regards

GKT

 
At Monday, December 16, 2013 9:00:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Yup.

In wintertime, my plan for reloading the revolver in my pocket was to pull out the revolver in my purse.

 
At Friday, January 03, 2014 8:43:00 PM, Blogger Al T. said...

my plan for reloading the revolver in my pocket was to pull out the revolver in my purse.*

* note to self: Start carrying a purse. Skip the bra and panties.

 
At Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:44:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

No undergarments, Al T? You wanton strumpet!

 
At Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:44:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

No undergarments, Al T? You wanton strumpet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.