Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Doctor, please, some more of these.

Just a friendly reminder that, just because your Mother's Little Helpers came in a bottle from a pharmacy that took a doctor's script to release to you, doesn't mean that you're on solid ground when
[Outside the door, She took one more]
you double up on your dosage, mix pain pills with your Xanex and your Valium, and fire up the family wagon to go get a pack of smokes. No, when you put it into the ditch and cause callers to dial 911 on your driving, the simple virtue that they were prescription meds doesn't get you out of hot water. You're DWI, kiddo.

So, instead, why not just stay home, call your friends and family and beg off as sick and impaired on your medicine, and... just relax, stay inside and listen to some music, Okay? Do you have any Allman Brothers?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Captain Tightpants said...

Oh these are ALWAYS some of my favorite... the "but how can you arrest me for DUI when I haven't been drinking?" game...

Even more fun when the whole rest of the night they're telling the whole "I'm going to beat this, you'll lose your job." game that we all love & then court comes and it is a quiet plea as their lawyer has explained reality to them!

 
At Saturday, December 27, 2008 11:00:00 AM, Blogger LauraB said...

HA! Trooper had a similar situation over the holiday...

The walk and turn was somewhat comedic.

 
At Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:55:00 PM, Blogger Sabra said...

I think a small part of the confusion is that the public campaign centers almost exclusively around drunk driving. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of public awareness that "intoxication" can mean several things (I *think* that's behind the push to use the term DUI instead of DWI, but I dunno).

I know a few months ago we had the "Under the Influence/Under Arrest" campaign, but the Christmas campaign from DPS was once again hitting only on drinking. (It mentioned eggnog specifically...)

Not that any of it's an excuse, of course.

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see somebody is paying attention to the Rx side of DUI.

With fewer clues as to what's going on I'd think it easier to slide by, but knowing the effects of pain pills on me, and I must use them more than I like to, I have to believe it's harder to enforce.

I know when I'm "on" the pain pills I automatically limit my activities. However, I know that when I'm not on them, and am driving around, there is likely to be someone out there who is DUI of the Rx variety and I'm still in as much danger as if I were driving that way myself.

I will rail against abuse of power and against half-baked and poorly planned no-knock entries, but you'll not find me complaining about roadway checkpoints or increased/strategically placed patrols at closing time. Please do get the vehicluar killers-to-be-off the roads.

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:46:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

And I'd bet EVERY one had a warning label about taking them and driving...sigh... sounds like DUI with an easy conviction to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.