Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

One does what one must.

"Whew, it's muggy," says the kindly older woman behind the counter as I walk up with my to-go cup of coffee.

"I noticed that, too," I say, plunking down my cup on the counter as I reach for my wallet and she shakes her head and walks away from the register. "The thermostat by the coffeemaker reads '76.' Why not turn it down?"

She grabs a broom and comes around the counter, sweeping the floor. "Those girls at night may feel free to change the thermostat, but I'm not going to break the rules. I'll ask the manager for permission to turn it down when she comes in. If those girls at night were working like they ought to, they'd stay warm enough," she sniffs with disdain.

"Why don't you just take your jacket off?" I ask, gesturing to the warmup jacket that she wears unzipped over her uniform shirt. I point to the coffee again with my brows raised, and she dismissively waves me away from the register.

"I, uh, keep my stuff in the pockets," she says, looking carefully away. "I think I'll sweep outside, where it's cooler." The store is empty.

Huh.

Interesting.

I watch her carefully. Blue jeans. Untucked uniform shirt. Light warmup jacket. Wristwatch on left wrist, so I begin to watch her right hip as she moves around while sweeping. I don't see anything. Well, with all that loose clothing, I wouldn't. And maybe she wears it appendix carry. Or cross-draw.

She busies herself sweeping the walk near the front door. I know she can feel me watching her, and I know that it makes her nervous. This is a lady who follows the rules scrupulously. I am pretty sure that this convenience store chain wouldn't allow concealed carry by their employees.

I open my mouth to ask, and then close it.

It's impolite to ask a lady about her underwear. I was just curious, anyway.

I smile and wish her a good morning.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:21:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

Good observations there. You're likely correct. I admire your restraint, too. Had you asked, the woman would have been in a small quandry. Given the type work ethic she was demonstrating, she'd probably also hold the old fashioned values of Show Respect for Peace Officers, and Don't tell a Lie if You can Avoid it.

May she live long and prosper.

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for her!

And good for you, for not pushing the subject. I understand just how much you wanted to know.

There's a guy at my church that I am convinced carries "something" under his shirt. I've seen it print more than once, although I could be mistaken about exactly what it is.

I've had to restrain myself from asking, even though I am fairly certain I am correct. Though, it sure would be nice to know who else is ready, should the need for an armed response ever arise ...

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:29:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Good for her.

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:23:00 PM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Good on ya, sir. The world could use more peace officers like yourself and yo daddy.

I can understand the quandary, too. I'd sure have liked to know, just as a conversational piece (and like Shrimp said, to know who else is ready). But in the end, what with your badge and all, you likely did the right thing.

Nice of ya, though.



tweaker

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:37:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

She has my blessing.

 
At Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:40:00 PM, Blogger Future PA said...

Excellent observation.

26 months until I'm allowed to carry!

 
At Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:17:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Has anyone told you today what a class act you are, Matt? :)

 
At Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:45:00 PM, Blogger EE said...

Damn it, that comment from "future pa" was really me...

my damn husband has a habit of not logging off the computer.

He is taking a CCW class soon. In 26 months I'll FINALLY get to carry!

 
At Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:00:00 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Isn't that about the time where you give her a wink and say, "Stay safe"?

Good for both of you.

 
At Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:29:00 PM, Blogger Dedicated_Dad said...

Shrimp: I've found ways of discreetly inquiring of people I suspect may be like-minded... Surely you could do the same! I think it's important to know, especially if you think you both could potentially end up sharing a response someday... A bit different from Matt's situation...

$0.02!

DD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.