Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

So sweet...

I really shouldn't watch these clips.

The fact that I like to probably says something about me that I'd rather not know.

But I LOVE watching these "To Catch A Predator" clips.

Some people say "Oh, they depress me too much! I don't want to see that!"

Well, they tickle me to death. They're solid evidence of the scum that's out there, to present to kids (boys and girls, please). They provide superb evidence for court. They provide useful profiles for case studies to help catch and (gasp) maybe even treat adult men who show the first signs of pedophilia.

There are apparently some neighborhoods that have been FURIOUS that decoy houses have been set up in their neighborhoods. To which I ask, "Why? It's not like the predators are ever coming back to the place where they got arrested for trying to meet an underage kid." Oh, but there might be some that don't get arrested. Well, that would mean that they either realized that it was a sting (and they sure as hell wouldn't stay around or come back), or they backed down, in which case they're not as dangerous as the other predators who are, by the way, statistically living in your neighborhood. Yes, yours.

Also, there's the shaming.

John Braithwaite wrote in his superb 1989 book Crime, Shame, and Reintegration that it's the thought of the shame at being found out that is the greatest deterrence for would-be criminals.

Some pass out. Some run. Some commit suicide later. The shame is real.

Good.

I know they're out there already. I'm learning nothing new that the fax machine at the P.D. doesn't already tell me every time another sexual predator is located in our neighborhood. And those are just the ones we can make cases on.

MORE! Chris Hansen, you can come to my neighborhood, if you want. Heck, I'll move the family to a hotel for a week, and you can use my house.

This one, by the way, is my favorite; I laughed out loud.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:43:00 AM, Blogger Constance said...

What an idiot ! "I didn't do anything yet !!!!"

Arrest them all and throw the key away.
Shame them without hesitation. Scumbags.

"Well done" to the officers that arrest them !

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:52:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

I can't approve of the way they handle that.

I could approve, however, if Mr. Hansen set a pistol and one cartridge down in front of their catches and said "Me and the cameraman are going to leave the room now. I trust you'll do the right thing."

(Actually, I watched a few of the clips. The one where the passed out and took a header into the minibar was freakin' hilarious.)

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:35:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

I saw a few great clips from this show on "The Soup" which is a Friday round-up of outrageous moments from the week's tv. There was one where this guy with IQ well below room-temperature was standing there in cuffs asking when his episode would be on television, and if someone would let him know when it was coming up.

Disturbing, and very nice to know there are some clever people snagging these rascals.

Oh, and thanks so much for the add to your blog roll. Distinguished company, there!

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if only they keep them locked up for a long time.

I'd be willing to let them use my house too. Come on in and catch the sick freaks.

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:27:00 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

"Yeah, uh, that's unfortunate."

Heh. That's the understatement of his lifetime, methinks.

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:51:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

"My name's Millie, I'm 13, and I like Britney, My Little Pony, and Springfield XD double-stack .45s, the safety of which I've just released. Will you visit me, Mister? Bring sody pop and arrive nekkid!"

 
At Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:00:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Shows like that are what convinced me I was entirely correct to pass on the FBI opportunity.

I have absolutely no tolerance for such crimes, and perps would have been beaten into a dense, smelly paste before processing.

 
At Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:58:00 AM, Blogger The Lily said...

ES and I are always riveted when it comes on. Same dumb excuses and lies every time.

 
At Friday, August 03, 2007 3:43:00 PM, Blogger Ron said...

Just about all of the videos are available on MSNBC's website at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10912603/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.