Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Responsibility. (He just keeps doing it.)

Dad and I were discussing Marko's writing one day, and agreed that he makes more points better and more eloquently in his adopted language of English than any 5 other citizens of this, his naturalized country, could on their best day.

Here, he does it again, pretty succinctly.

My regular rant is that those responsible citizens for whom society has removed the barriers to going armed, who are trained to carry and use arms correctly, should carry every day.

Marko's focus here is slightly different. He makes the point that it takes responsibility, and diligence, to carry daily. But he also makes the point very briefly that the costs of not doing so are too high, in his estimation.

Seatbelts can be a pain. I know; I've worn one all my life, in a hot climate and often in uncomfortable vehicles and attire.

Ballistic vests on duty are uncomfortable and hot. I've worn one for all but a year of my service as a cop.

Getting vaccinations is a pain (literally) to me and my kids. They also require that I "waste" my time in doctors' offices, and have to comfort my children's crying.

Digging for the right key to my cars' doors, for my house doors, my gun safe, and for my office doors is a pain. But I keep on locking 'em, and I carry a big set of keys in my pocket, that digs into my thigh sometimes. What a pain. A friend at school laughed as she watched me stuggle to pull out a fist-sized ring of keys from my left pocket the other day. She didn't realize that the reason I had trouble getting the keys out was that I'd stuffed them into the same pocket as my work phone and change, to keep my right pocket free of any clutter that would tie up the little .380 it held in a pocket holster. "You must be important!" she teased as I searched for my car key.

I don't know about that. But I am responsible, and not just for myself.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 08, 2007 3:03:00 AM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

He does have a gift for a well crafted argument, doesn't he? Marko cuts to the meat of an issue.

Far better than another blogger Who Shall Not Be Named who drowns his ideas in Thesaurus Gravy.

 
At Tuesday, May 08, 2007 3:28:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

NN's not THAT bad, AD. Quit piling on! Takes himself too seriously? Check. Little obsessive? Check. But Thesaurusitis? Eh, I've seen worse, and used less effectively.

Pragmatism sometimes means recognizing good qualities even in those you'd rather not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.