Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, April 11, 2019

You matter

Back in college, I got a job as a fry cook at an ice cream place that sold burgers. It was very poorly paid (college town), and the managers were underpaid and arguably mentally ill. I had to wear a bow tie while flipping burgers over a hot grill.
One day, the shift manager yelled at me from the back desk, and said something hateful for the umpteenth time during a busy shift. We were short-handed. There was a line of customers. This was when she had decided to do paperwork, and she was cussing me.
I took off my foam-and-net screen-print uniform baseball hat, ripped off my clip-on bowtie and my apron, and put both into my hat, and put the hat on the counter, with every intent of walking out.
I glanced past the food prep area at the large group of people waiting for their food.
No one was going to get them their lunch if I didn’t. It wasn’t their fault. Most of them had already paid, and those who hadn’t, had already invested part of their lunch hour in coming there.

I put the apron and cap back on, washed my hands, and got their orders out.
But I didn’t put that fucking bowtie back on.

You finish what you started. People COUNT on you, who don’t deserve punishment.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So after finishing your shift and getting those customers fed did you work the next one or head to less abusive pastures?

 
At Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:05:00 PM, Blogger Phillip said...

Thank you. I know it wasn't written for me, but it helps me a little bit with some stuff I'm going through.

 
At Friday, April 12, 2019 10:00:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

Happy to see you posting again. Yeah, I know I haven't written anything myself but I have excuses: I'm happily retired, plus I'm too stove up to shoot any matches for the past year or so. Maybe we can both do a bit more.

 
At Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Kudos to you for NOT walking out right then, but I'd have finished the shift and never gone back.

 
At Monday, April 22, 2019 6:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you're still out there.

 
At Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have had the same moment in a very different line of work and love your ethic. But... how would you identify it in a prospective employee?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.