Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Random Thursday Thoughts

--Less than half of the US is now in the Middle Class. NPR finds this shocking. Reason says, "It's not that big a deal-- there are fewer lower class, and more upper class." It's like the statement of the simple fact that there is a minority which is far over-represented in the prison and jail population. One extreme is to believe that crime is inherent within that subset of the population. The other extreme is to believe and assert that the system is inherently racist.

--Looking at my level of income, number of people in my household, and my level of education, I'm trailing behind.

--Caleb wrote the obligatory piece on our POTUS claiming that the no-fly list should be used to restrict guns from citizens. It actually opens the discussion to some very important questions, though. If we let a regulatory agency with the force of law make regulations that take Constitutional rights away from people, what is the point of having a law, or a legislative process? This has been a question of mine about the actions of the BATFE and the TSA for a long time. Let's embrace the discussion, and thank our Constitutional Scholar POTUS for opening it up.

--In three weeks, Texans who have Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHLs) will have Licenses To Carry Handguns. (LCHs) We in North Texas anticipate lots of calls from pearl-clutchers seeing guns on the hips of citizens in public places, for the first time. I'm actually a big fan of them being concealed, because concealment removes (or at least strongly reduces) the incentive for people to carry guns for the wrong damned reason. It needs to be a tool, not a statement.

--I got tired of Pink Floyd back in college, when I had a morose roommate who would put 6 Pink Floyd albums into the CD changer and set it to Random/Infinite Repeat, and turn the amp up to 11 while he maundered. (Amazingly, that roommate is still one of my best friends.)  So I've not played any Pink Floyd for, oh 18 years. Yesterday, I played "On The Turning Away," and found myself with tears in my eyes.




--It's worth remembering that we as a nation are turning away from helping a lot of refugees, which lot is comprised of over 50% women and girls, and over 30% kids under 11. Because we are afraid.


--We got a nice new Roomba for the house, as an early Christmas gift for ourselves. We immediately named it Consuela. A guy on a local buy/sell/trade page online had an older model Roomba that his grandmother no longer wanted, so I talked him down considerably, and bought it. Within 24 hours, we had two robot minions cleaning our split-level house. I named the older model Rosie, for Rosie The Robot of The Jetsons.  My artistic 13 year-old daughter sketched her image of Consuela and Rosie, which we of course had to put up on our refrigerator:
The kid's got an eye, IMHO. 

-- Both my daughters this year are asking to borrow control of my Amazon account, to buy their Christmas gifts. We've had more boxes and parcels and packages dropped off at the front door of my house in the past year than in the combined total of my life, theretofore. 

--I qualified with the Glock 42 on Monday. That is a REALLY soft-shooting little pocket pistol. I had purchased it with Trijicons on it, and 600 rounds, from a friend. It will make a decent BUG, and I've found online the vest holster that I want to get for it for work. I just don't have the $85 lying around at present, what with all the other expenditures, as of late. Maybe next week. Or after Christmas.  

--Another officer had a Glock 43. That is an interesting pistol to shoot. It's FAR snappier in the recoil than the soft-shooting 43, which is to be expected as it is a 9X19 in basically the same sized gun. I may get one.

--Last night I got the ingredients to make this Alton Brown recipe for eggnog. It's as if they said, "we'll shut down the circulatory system with fat and cholesterol! Wait, we wouldn't want the endocrine system to feel left out! Let's wreck the liver, and the pancreas, all at once, with a pint and a half of liquor, and a pound of sugar!"

--As I have dinner to make, and a board meeting to attend in half an hour, I have successfully avoided going to work out today, by writing this blog. (smirk)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Saturday, December 12, 2015 7:58:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Sounds like the kids didn't want to vacuum... LOL I'll be interested to chat with you about the 42. Looking at one myself.

 
At Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:45:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

I've always wondered how well those work.


I'm a big fan of the Evan Williams eggnog. A big shot works well in a big mug of coffee on the weekend.

 
At Saturday, December 26, 2015 10:57:00 PM, Blogger the pawnbroker said...

We as a nation aren't turning away, we are running away...from a threat far greater than any single thug, and for exactly the same reasons; to prevent being mugged and robbed and having taken from us by force, that which we have worked and strived to have and to keep and to provide to those for whom we are personally responsible...

That's what good gunnies do, right? Run away to avoid lethal confrontation, to avoid using the final, soul-ripping, life-altering, and sometimes absolutely necessary final solution which we all prepare and train for, all while hoping and praying to God that we never have to.

You may call the overwhelming and deadly influx "refugees"...I'll call them what they are; economic and opportunist migrant bands of thieves. And if we can't run away from them through political and legislative means, we will have to do what we have to do, or pay for our failure to do so with our lives, and the lives of our loved ones, and ultimately with the life of the country -our country- that we love.

 
At Sunday, December 27, 2015 1:19:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Coward.

 
At Sunday, December 27, 2015 3:54:00 PM, Blogger the pawnbroker said...

Hypocrite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.