Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

New (to me) car.

We live within our means, here at Chez G. That said, we don't buy new cars-- we just buy quality used ones, and drive them until the wheels fall off.

I bought a 2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 with the cash back on my mortgage refinance. I found it on Cars Dot Com, and got a reasonable deal on it. It was a trade-in at a dealership. They'd had trouble moving it with the warped rotors that it had when it was turned in, so they were changing the front rotors and pads out when I came by the dealer. It being up on the lift, I took a shop light and checked around under it, and was happy. I still paid a mechanic to check it out. It passed. I went by the motor bank and pulled a few thousand out, and discovered yet again that you can hand people a handful of greenish rag papers with Ben Franklin's portrait on them, and they will hand you the keys to a tangible piece of property.

This one came with leather, and a Rhino liner, and four real doors. As it had a touch over 100k miles, I had my SAE-certified mechanic friend change the timing belt and replace the water pump for me.

It scratches an itch that I've had for awhile, and I own it free and clear.

Because we found pomegranate rinds int he bed when we first looked at it, and because of the color, it's already been dubbed The Pomegranate, or "Pome" for short.







Sure, it's really storage for the jack, but in my mind, it's totally Han Solo's smuggling storage in the Millennium Falcon. 

I like that strut, which holds up the rear seat when it's rolled forward. That's a nice touch. 

With only 240 horsepower, the 32-valve, 4.7L V8 produces not a RIDICULOUS horsepower, but it gives a nice 315 foot-pounds of torque. It's a true 1-ton truck. 


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice ride.

 
At Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:08:00 AM, Anonymous Shrimp said...

Nice looking truck. Congratulations, and may it serve you well.

 
At Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:14:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Thanks. I mostly just put it here to recall in future years.

 
At Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:54:00 AM, Blogger aczarnowski said...

Congrats!

When we moved and I got a real commute a new (to me) vehicle was a requirement. Picked up an '09 4Runner with saved cash. Hard to fork over that much but I really do appreciate having a vehicle that just works. Hopefully it will run well past a billion miles like everybody claims.

Wish the V8 in yours was more common in the 4Rs though. Mine's a 6.

 
At Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I had an '06 - last year for that body style. It was a 2WD extended cab, rather than crew. Nice truck! Very reliable, reasonably good mileage for an almost-full sized pickup, and the engine did not leave me feeling underpowered. You did good, I think.

 
At Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:13:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Nice find, and hope it's reliable for many years!

 
At Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:07:00 AM, Blogger Lance R. Peak said...

I drive an '06 4WD Double Cab myself and love it. Gas mileage is pretty pathetic, but it's taken me through 120*F down to -52*F, and the only time it failed to start was when the battery died after six years of said abuse.

I bought it in Dec '06, one of the last of that gen to come off the line in Indiana, and now have almost 143k on it. Yours will last a very long time barring any unfortunate incident.

 
At Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red, like you're a hosedragger, or something. Oh, wait...

Kidding. Dad was a volunteer fireman for 20 yrs. Part of the reason I volunteer now as a reserve deputy.

Matt
St Paul
@1077idaho

 
At Friday, February 13, 2015 8:16:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Holy crap, Matt-- I didn't even THINK about that...!

Aw, jeez.

 
At Tuesday, December 20, 2016 3:20:00 AM, Blogger Jeromy said...

That was the smartest investment you could have ever made, trust me I know. I bought my 2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 when it was only a few years old. Guess what? I am still driving it today as it closes in on 200,000 miles. I must have saved several thousand in repairs over the years and wouldn't ever get a different truck.

Jeromy @ Fiesta Kia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.