Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday morning thoughts.

--Supply and Demand: Remington is reportedly expanding production of ammunition. They'd be fools not to.**

--In a more perfect world, a real-live astronaut who plays guitar and sings Space Oddity while in the International Space Station would be a bigger rock star than any of the current rock stars out there on the airways. I watched this yesterday, and thought: 1. That guitar sounds a little tinny. Too bad they couldn't get a bigger one up with some more bass tones. 2. But they sent a guitar up to outer frickin' space. 3. What's it cost to boost a properly-padded or cased small acoustic guitar to the ISS?
--Oh, look-- Homeland Security is using pin traps and wire taps on the Associated Press. Way to wake a sleeping giant, guys. Ambulance Driver calls this statement by Miguel Gonzales the
Quote of the Day:
"So what's the big deal about the Justice Department secretly viewing AP reporters' phone records? The Obama administration has every right to know what its employees are doing on the phone during working hours."

--The docs are trying to claim that firearms are a legitimate health concern, again. If they can show that pathogens are being passed by firearms in the home, then they've got my support. Otherwise, they can butt out.

--This weekend, my dad had a birthday. I arranged for him and his wife to come over to my house for burgers, but on the sly invited other friends and family. Given that it was Mother's Day, we had spotty attendance... thank heavens. We had lots that did show, and I grilled 3 pounds of bratwursts, 5 pounds of hamburger, and a pound of wienies. My wife made a pot of beans. We had a big pan of iced brownies, a locally-produced* cake, potato salad, chips galore, and lots of fixings. We were left with one brat, one wienie, and half a pound of potato salad. The rest was consumed.

Rabbit came, and brought Dad a Molon Labe coffee cup, and brought one for me, too. It's on my desk at work, now. I know other people brought gifts, but I didn't pay a lot of attention, because it's all about me, and I'm self-centered like that.

My gift to Dad was a 100 Federal shotshells, with a card explaining that he'd best get to the skeet range to practice, because in November, I've bought him and me a space on a weekend of guided duck hunting. This is a danged selfish gift that I bought him, because it means that I get to go hunting with my dad.

The cousins arrived, and we agreed that we should do this again.

--Reportedly, LBJ turned off a scathing indictment of the US involvement in Vietnam, and said "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America."
See now how Obama has got to be saying, "If I've lost Jon Stewart..."

This may well be the funniest piece that I've ever seen Jon Stewart and the Daily Show ever do.

________________________
*We picked the peaches last summer, and picked the pecans out of our yard this past fall. It was kind of like a cake/cobbler thing. Fit to eat.
**I suppose. I just want to see more a bigger supply.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:49:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Sounds like a great day! And tell him belated happy birthday for me!

 
At Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:01:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

It was a great day, indeed. I'm glad to have been there to be a part of it.

 
At Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:53:00 PM, Blogger Ted said...

Gotta disagree with you on docs and firearms. Guns are fair game for the medical profession to weigh in on, just like lead paint, seat belts, helmets, or anything else that impacts public health.

Excellent parallel with the LBJ/Cronkite thing tho.

 
At Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:07:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

You can disagree, Ted, but you would be fundamentally wrong.

I carried a gun all day today. I feel fine. I checked online with my friends who are cops and carry guns all day. They feel fine, too. Apparently, the presence of a firearm is not causing our small sample a health problem.

Lead paint is a toxin. That's worth taking note of, from doctors. Beyond reports of survival rates from crashes in which seat belts were worn, we don't need to hear from the doctors. With regard to firearms, all I want to know is how effective a particular round is in incapacitation.

 
At Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:32:00 PM, Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

Happy birthday to your dad. I look forward to seeing both of you in November.

I don't think that Jon Stewart is actually upset about the allegations. He seems more upset that these scandals will become a distraction from the great work he expects Obama to do. Notice he blew off Benghazi as something that the Republicans made up instead of what it really is.

No, he gets no points from me.

 
At Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:51:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

So who's giving him points?
He just can't deny that the administration Effed Up.

 
At Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:56:00 AM, Anonymous Em said...

XKCD just did a "What If" on the Space Oddity video:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/45/

(TL,DR: about $75k to get the guitar to the ISS)

 
At Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:55:00 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday to a true gentleman.

and Space Oddity from space is so awesome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.