Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Gimme a hand, here:

I'm trying to find a blog. One of the writers in the blogosphere wrote a couple of years ago a story about his past that beautifully illustrated the illusion of doing good with other people's money. He wrote about how, as a teenaged churchgoer, he had joined the church early, and took part in his church's decision-making process. When they had all but decided not to fund a foreign mission, he related, he gave a spirited speech that shamed those who voted against funding the mission, and moved the congregation to vote to spend the money, not yet budgeted. He had been quite proud of himself. Afterwards, one of the church elders took him to lunch, and asked him how much extra he himself planned to contribute to the missionary fund. He, a broke teenager, mumbled that he was kind of short for cash just then. That's when the Dutch uncle of an elder pointed out that it was one thing to have good intentions with other people's money, but that it wasn't genuine charity, and at some point you had to put up or shut up.

I know he's just a degree of separation away.

Help me, friends, to find this blog. I want to print it and present it to a couple of people in my graduate Public Administration class, quite badly. :)

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Monday, November 26, 2012 7:56:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

I tried, but my google-foo is sucking tonight... no joy, sorry!

 
At Monday, November 26, 2012 8:22:00 PM, Blogger charlotte g said...

I remember this quite well but can't help you locate it. Pastor has been preaching last three Sundays on Toxic Charity, the name of a book on creating dependence through charity and how to change that when possible. Don't know if the book would help.

 
At Monday, November 26, 2012 9:29:00 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Matt, I've read the story you're describing and I'm pretty sure it was either old NFO or MostlyCajun...

 
At Monday, November 26, 2012 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Oops, probably not Old NFO then!

 
At Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:56:00 AM, Anonymous Shrimp said...

Man, you need a Tamalanche in the worst way! Somebody is bound to read that request and say, "That was me."

I know exactly which story you are talking about, because I remember it too. But I can't remember who wrote it, where I read it, or if I read it as a comment in reply to someone's blog post.

Like Patrick, I would have sworn it was NFO, but he's already replied, so I doubt it now.

I wish you good luck in finding it, though.

 
At Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:01:00 PM, Blogger pax said...

I remember it too, but can't find it. Will keep looking.

 
At Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:59:00 PM, Blogger The Scribbler said...

I think that was BRM, but I'm not sure and I can't track it down... my first reaction was that was YOU.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.