Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Some this and some that.

--Mad Max: Beyond PaintBall.

--I read Hunger Games  on my Kindle, and it's actually a pretty good story. A quick read, I got the second one. You can buy the electronic "Boxed Set" of three, but it's pointless to do, because it saves you nothing.

--I sent Tam some pics and questions about a recent .32 that I handled on a recent call. I'm eager to see what she comes up with.

--We got rain tonight in one of our usual May thunderstorms. "Usual," but surprisingly absent this May, until now.

--Also absent is my usual May funk. As I mentioned, I got an A this semester in grad school. One at a time. I should go sit for practicals or something.

--Neither of my girls are doing anything productive in school. They did all the last of their testing in early May, and the teachers are calling it in from here. I do not approve, despite the high showing that both my kids (4th and 8th graders, respectively) gave.

--Remember when, as a young person making videos in the back yard, you ended up with a shaky, completely amateurish, virtually-unwatchable thing? Comes now the future, when two girls with a decent hand-held camera and some knowledge of digital editing can put together a homemade video that is far better than 99% of the dreck that I have seen presented as professional music videos. Like the best music videos, this one tells a little story, about a narcissist and her friend. Most amusing.

--I first heard that song (AWOLNation's "Sail") presented behind Jeb Corliss's amazing BASE-jumping video, which is also worth watching. But I'm sure that you'd already seen that.

--I seem to have missed this verse in the bible during Sunday school as a kid.


--‎"Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of close to absolute zero, or 0 Kelvin (−273 °C (−459 °F)),[7] temperatures as high as 151 °C (304 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals,[8] and almost a decade without water.[9] Since 2007, tardigrades have also returned alive from studies in which they have been exposed to the vacuum of outer space for a few days in low earth orbit." I read aloud to my wife.
"So that's what's going to take over the world, some day," she said.

Aww. Water Bears.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:52:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

yeah, schools today are NOT what we grew up with... sigh

 
At Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:50:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

That music video was literally the first time I'd heard AWOLNATION, and the parody has more of a cohesive storyline than the official video. However, I freakin' love the song, and before the ridiculously loud subs in my trunk got disconnected by the Great Tire Disaster of 2012, it was my favorite song to blast and scare joggers with while driving around.

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing the material my Scripture teachers glossed over or omitted back in the day. Of course, the KJV does phrase things a bit differently than some of the more modern translations. . .

LittleRed1

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

@LittleRed1:

It's still pretty racey in King James Version.

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Then there's The Message,, or as a friend of mine in the clergy calls it, Shonda Rhimes' Bible for Gray's Anatomy Fans.

 
At Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:06:00 AM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

Congratulations on the A.

I enjoyed the book as well, well done for a young adult book, and the movie was a lot of fun.

Keep up the good work!

 
At Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, even the King James is racey, but I'm still going to use the King James for reading aloud in religion class (middle school) as compared to a few other translations. Less giggling and/or gaping (depending on the exact text for the day). And we'll jut pass over the Song of Songs for the time being . . .

LittleRed1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.