Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Not feeling absolutely terrible awful. .

My jerk of a partner* has decided to force me off my couch and into the world Not Imminently Expecting A Downturn In Health. He wants me to run. I pointed out quite logically that this was a stupid proposition, as Matt Doesn't Run. So he put this regimen of running to me, to get to running 5k in 8 weeks. I flippin' doubt it, but the first week is easy enough, so I started this:
To give me company, I brought the 10 year-old and the 13 year-old. The 13 year-old was a little hard to convince, until I reminded her that she is attending two summer camps this year, both with lots of swimming, and her swimsuit is a bikini. (Insert suppressed fatherly scowl here.)  She decided that she needed to come along. Note the ambiguity about the total time. Is that 5-minute walk part of the 20 minutes? Frankly, I doubt it, but I was completely prepared to scale it as it it were. We did horribly. The elder daughter finished. I finished. My 10-year-old lagged and didn't really finish. We went home and felt sore and bad about our physical fitness.

Two days later, we went for the second iteration of Workout 1. See, each week, you do each workout three times. We were dreading it. And surprisingly, we did great. All three of us did quite well, today. I can't explain it. I don't ever recall the words "I feel great" coming out of my mouth after a run, before. (I cannot express here how deeply I generally loathe running.)

I'm actually vaguely looking forward to Saturday's run with the girls. They're a great pair of partners to have along. And come on-- we can endure ANYTHING for half an hour.

________________________
*Actually, I love this guy like a brother.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:58:00 PM, Anonymous Joe Allen said...

"we can endure ANYTHING for half an hour."

So, you've never seen The View then...

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 7:18:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Dammit, Joe's comment had me spitting coffee all over the screen... LOL but that IS a good start, and basic fitness can only help!

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 8:02:00 AM, Blogger Michael Burris said...

Share! What is the whole program?

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 9:35:00 AM, Blogger Dirk said...

Yeah, I'd like to see the whole program, too. For about 3-4 weeks now, I've been doing about 2 miles, alternating running and walking, but not in any rigorous way. So I'd be interested in something a little more formal. And, interestingly, I have a 13 year old daughter that's been coming with me, and a 10 year old son that just expressed interest. :)

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 10:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your partner sounds like a really good guy.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 2:20:00 PM, Anonymous BGMiller said...

So I'm thinking back to your post showing your mitt swallowing a pint glass....

And I'm recalling your post about special order size mucho grande dragon stompin boots for when you play on the big red truck...

And now I'm imaging you jogging...
*mumbling of quick sums*
Hope the pavement is up to it.
;)


BGM

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 6:05:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

@Dirk and Michael: Doh! I thought that I'd linked it. I fixed it so that it is in the text, now, but it's here.

BGM, the pavement that we're running on is new, so I have hopes that I'll shrink before it breaks down. Hey, I've lost 10 lbs already.

 
At Friday, May 25, 2012 6:06:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

@Anonymous 10:23: Yeah, I bet you'd like him.

 
At Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:37:00 AM, Blogger John B said...

Matt doesn't run.
Except to chase down sketchy characters to ask them "Why did you run?" Tell me more as I need to get back in shape...

 
At Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:42:00 AM, Blogger John B said...

Matt doesn't run.
Except to chase down sketchy characters to ask them "Why did you run?". Please tell me more as I really need to get back in shape...

 
At Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:14:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

I run to try to catch the guy who fit more comfortably in his own skin.

 
At Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Dirk said...

Thanks for posting that link! I'll have to give it a try.

 
At Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Jay G said...

Interesting and timely post, Matt.

TheBoy (age 11.5) and I just got matching running shoes.

He insisted that we use them as intended.

Hilarity ensued...

 
At Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:41:00 PM, Anonymous LabRat said...

I did that program for awhile. Got up to my first uninterrupted mile run before it dawned on me that I absolutely loathe running, still loathed it now I was better at it, and the primary reward in the offing was a whole bunch more of the same. It works exactly like it says on the box, though.

I will be joining you soon, however. The demonic creature who orders us about the flat track is kicking off a three month fitness challenge starting June and I'll be buggered if I get left in the dust by some of these women. I'll never catch the demon, as her origin is not of this earth. I may develop the capacity to outlift her, however.

 
At Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should run only when chased.

FormerFlyer

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:55:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

@Former Flyer:

I am being chased, by an enormous fat man with my wallet in his pocket. And he's been catching me because I've been running out of breath.

Time to train.

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:15:00 PM, Blogger jumblerant said...

Thanks for this - just bought the app and as soon as my foot tendinitis goes - I'll be out there breaking paving stones!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.