Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thursday bits.

--My soon-to-be 10 year-old got excited about her upcoming birthday being celebrated. She recalled having heard my wife and me discuss the feasibility of taking her into the land of Big City to the Great Wolf Lodge for a weekend. Apparently, this is a really cool place for young kids. Indoor year-round waterpark. Log cabin rooms. Rustic  bunk beds and furniture made from hewn logs. Activities. Kid food. Sounds kind of fun. Uh, not at almost $500 for a single weekend night. The Wife and I had this hypothetical conversation about 10 months ago. Kids never forget. We need to speak in Spanish, more.

--Guess who got appointed to make the call, and to explain it to the disappointed kid? Why am I always the bad guy? 

--I explained that I had bought a running V8 van with cold a/c and a nifty luggage rack for that price, last year. (Which we've been using the heck out of.) I told her that she needed to be able to have something at the end of the weekend, to keep. So of course I'm getting her a cell phone. The gift that keeps on billing me.

--That sucker is going to be bulletproofed, lemme  tell you.

--I haven't gotten out to the range this spring, yet. Given the beaut weather that we have, this is criminal.

--My partner is doing a lot better, and is recuperating at home, where he could actually get some real rest. Seems that some of the perceived slowness in his recovery was from the protocol-dictated course of anti-seizure meds that they gave him.  Well, hell, of course a neurotransmitter inhibitor is going to make a person slow. They changed recipes, and he got a lot better. Soon he won't take any of that. Talking to him, he looks and sounds great. He gets tired, though. He's running on at least 5 cylinders. But he's got 8, at least. Maybe 12.

--Sure wish he'd been out with me on a tough call last night.

--With the temperate weather and rains and sun, I should be mowing twice a week. I'm averaging once every 10+ days. Lawn looks shaggy. I run the risk of being the roughest in the neighborhood. I don't want to be That Guy. I  also don't want to have the nicest lawn in the neighborhood, either.

--Tomorrow, I stay at the fire house. This will be my first time staying there overnight. William Dafoe springs to mind.

--I've been carrying my new 637, newly back from my gunsmith, in my custom 3R holster a lot lately. It's  a good fit. I need to review both.

--My prof in Homeland Security said that none of the crime originally reported in the SuperDome in NOLA during Katrina was ever substantiated. Anyone have any good sources on the issue?

--Yet again I find proof that 80% of the calls for service in a given small town are made by 5% or less of the people in it.

--You think that your spouse is giving you a hard time about something, and you come across a couple that is dog-cussing each other, and each other's kids. Then you realize that your spouse is actually pretty cool.

--I got accused recently at a civil disturbance of being against the 2nd amendment, because I told a man who had completely lost his composure to stand away from the weapons on the scene. I didn't get mad, but I set him straight: "I'm all about supporting your Constitutional rights, bud. But you called me here to diffuse a situation that you blew up. Can we try it my way for a few minutes?"--I  am  reminded of the kid who climbs a tree to retrieve his kite, can't get down, calls the fire department  to get him down, and won't let go of his kite to get on the ladder.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

A few weeks back, someone posted in our neighborhood watch facebook group that some random (and not particularly noteworthy) event had happened in the neighborhood. That person also mentioned that they didn't want to call the police about it because they had already called the police 4 times THAT WEEK. I don't think I've called the police 4 times in my LIFE.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Matt, there's a lot about NOLA and Katrina that was never reported - you may recall my posts about it at the time. I don't have your current e-mail addy or phone number, but if you'll kindly drop me a line with that info (my e-mail address is in my blog profile), I'll give you some interesting stuff to share with your prof.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 5:23:00 AM, Blogger Farmmom said...

Glad to hear your buddy is doing better. Hopefully he will continue to heal quickly.
The 10 yr old will be fine with a cell phone, believe me! If you are thinking smart phone check out the Rugby Smart. It is holding up to me so far.
We missed you last weekend and I shot enough rounds for both of us. :)
See your friends are watching your back.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 8:28:00 AM, Blogger Robert McDonald said...

It's good to hear your partner is doing better. Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery and be back at it soon enough.

Sucks about your daughter's birthday. I'm sure she is/was disappointed, but it's got to sting you a bit too. Hopefully she'll enjoy the cellphone...well, at that age I'm sure she will. I hear the Casio Commando is a tank.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 1:51:00 PM, Anonymous BGMiller said...

Glad to hear about your partner.

As for the lawn, let it grow, cut it, bale it, sell it. If anybody complains you can tell them it's part of a new green initiative to blend the urban and rural blah blah blah.....

Ah screw it. AstroTurf the bugger.

BGM

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 6:28:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Just stay safe Matt... And glad your partner is doing better!

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 9:22:00 PM, Blogger TBeck said...

Glad to hear that your partner is healing. Thank him for stepping into the sharp end for us.

Lt. General Russell Honore wrote a book about his experiences as the federal Army commander in charge of the post-Katrina assistance operations. He discusses his experiences at the Superdome in some detail. According to him, people basically just dealt as well as they could given the situation and the lack of resources. There were some deaths from natural causes and environmental stress but nothing like Nagin claimed was happening. People had the initiative to scavenge what they needed to get by and worked together to look out for each other. He didn't discuss much about what was happening in the rest of the city.

Here's the Amazon link to the book. We borrowed a copy from the library.

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Being-Prepared-Keep-Family/dp/B005DICY6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333164123&sr=8-1

 
At Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:08:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

You had me at Willem Defoe's evil purr.

 
At Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:18:00 AM, Blogger Lance R. Peak said...

Great Wolf Lodge has a legally posted 30.06 sign on it's entrances as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.