Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Hospitals suck.

My partner up and got his bell rung, and we're waiting around the ICU to make damn sure that the doctors and nurses don't screw things up.

I'm with his wife at Big City Trauma Hospital, which happens to be in pretty much the WORST part of town (aren't they always?). My main job is to keep the night watch, send his family home so that I can do that, and be a stoic for his wife for times when doctors with more medical training than bedside manner (or sense) announce to his wife and mother, "He has a bleed!" without preamble or much explanation.

Looks like the old boy is going to be okay, but my runnin' buddy is out for a bit. The things that some guys will do to get to use their sick time. . .

It's mildly amusing to see how we fill an ER waiting room when one of us goes. My buddy has a lot of friends and family.

I find that I'm both, now.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, March 23, 2012 4:46:00 AM, Blogger Farmmom said...

Thoughts and prayers sent your way for your buddy his family and you.
Here's hoping he heals fast and well.

 
At Friday, March 23, 2012 1:16:00 PM, Anonymous BGMiller said...

On the job incident or off time accident?

Either way sending a thought partner's way.

BGM

 
At Friday, March 23, 2012 2:01:00 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

Oh yikes! Good thoughts and prayers your way

 
At Friday, March 23, 2012 5:38:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Thanks for taking the time and supporting him Matt!

 
At Friday, March 23, 2012 6:54:00 PM, Anonymous EmmaPeel said...

I'm glad to hear he'll be okay. It seems mandatory that hospitals be in awful areas of town (perhaps where the most trauma occurs). Most times it is also hard to remember that much joy is found in one wing when much heartache is found in another.

 
At Friday, March 23, 2012 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

@FarmMom: Thanks. So do I. He's my friend and my partner and part of my family, now.

@BGM: Off-duty, but a training incident. Thanks.

@NFO: It's my proud duty. He's my partner .

@Emma: It's taking longer than I hoped. See next blog entry.

 
At Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:46:00 PM, Anonymous Nurse and Hospital Stories said...

Hope that your buddy's wife is alright. ER indeed sucks even for a nurse like me. Hospital is not a place for a sick person. Ironic, eh.

Take care,
Peny@uniform medical

 
At Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:01:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Actually, my buddy's wife was fine all along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.