Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

No good deed...

I looked at the schedule. Chief was off. Sergeant was off. Rookie was scheduled to be on, tonight, by himself.

On New Year's Eve.

Huh.

I checked the schedule again. Plenty of overlap between me and the guy that I relieve later in the week.

My family are out of town. I'm scheduled off, but I'm not doing anything tonight but watching instant downloads of Battlestar Gallactica on NetFlix.

I called my sergeant. "Hey, how about I come in at 2200, or so, and help out our rookie until about 0200, and I can just shave the time off my shifts later in the week?" 

I kind of thought that he would be tickled to have the extra body on, and figured that it might save him a butt-chewing from our chief, who comes off vacation next week.

"Yeah, okay. Just email me the hours you worked tonight, so we don't have you going into overtime," said my sergeant. "Oh, and hey! If you're going to be out there, be busy!"

Great.

So I guess I'll go see if I can find a drunk driver, here in a little bit. Please don't let it be you, or yours. Protect those that you care for.

And please have a happy new year, friends.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:24:00 PM, Blogger KurtP said...

New Years Eve....Amateur night.

I haven't done anything like that in...forever.

...Of course after a 14 hr day, on a long deserted Tx hwy on the way home...and going retro (Bf O.C.)....

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:03:00 PM, Blogger TBeck said...

Well, hello again, officer! I thought you said you didn't want to come back out here tonight?

 
At Sunday, January 01, 2012 8:38:00 AM, Blogger On a Wing and a Whim said...

Thanks for standing the watch - I hope it was a relatively quiet one. Happy new year, and hope it's an even better one than the last for you.

 
At Sunday, January 01, 2012 11:04:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Hopefully it was a peaceful shift Matt! Happy New Year to you sir!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.