Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

File that under, "Probably no longer a problem for you."

Anthony Hardwick was bummed, because his job with one of the nation's biggest retailers required him to work on his anniversary, which happens to fall on the single biggest shopping day of the year. Because he also worked deep nights, that meant that he was going to have to sleep on Thanksgiving day.

So he started a petition! Right on, Tony! Power to the People, babe! He's gotten 80,000 signatures to his petition entitled: "Tell Target to Save Thanksgiving,"

But hey, it's all good. Because now:
"Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder said Hardwick is not currently scheduled to work on Thanksgiving or Black Friday."

Or, most likely, any other day, either.

See, despite what you may have heard, Target doesn't owe you a job, Anthony. They're trying to make their nut for the year, just like their competitors are.  And here you are, joggling their elbow, when they're trying to do that.

While I have long been disgusted with the whole Black Friday shopping construct, I am also fiercely in favor of letting capitalists sell their wares whenever they feel like it. If you joined up to work at Target with visions of sleeping in over the long Thanksgiving weekend, sir, then I believe that you were mistaken. What did you think that the job entailed, petition-boy? Just modeling your own rendition of red over khakis on free afternoons?

Then, too, perhaps I'm just having trouble mustering much pity for people working away from their family on holidays, because I've had to do it for so long, myself.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:59:00 PM, Blogger Larry said...

Right on.
I may have spent a holiday or two away from home myself...

 
At Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:23:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Yep, that whole 'you OWE me' mentality might have just jumped up and bit him :-)

 
At Friday, November 18, 2011 3:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, when I heard about it, I was just..."what?". The epitome of apathy. My mom has had to work holidays, and I've had to work holidays. Big deal, boohoo, wah. How about, oh, I dunno, moving your Thanksgiving dinner to another day to accommodate your schedule? Surely it isn't the end of the fucking world to eat your damn turkey a day earlier or a day later?

 
At Friday, November 18, 2011 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Mulligan said...

ok granted the 3rd friday in november will not always have the same number in the box on the calendar but what idiot risks a holiday conflict with his anniversary ?

 
At Monday, November 21, 2011 8:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*whips out world's smallest violin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.