Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Damn.

I first became aware of William Zeus Bligh-Glover, MD back in late 2007. He posted on my blog and on others, and started up his own, under the moniker "William The Coroner." Thy guy was laser-sharp, and a fierce proponent of civil liberty. Science was science, without regard to politics. Pathologists are the ultimate Crime Scene Investigators, and of course I found myself drawn to read this guy. He tried to give me a bubba'd-up SMLE once. Anytime that we had discussions, I found that his take on civil liberty was even more stringent than my own. How could I not like him?

I always meant to call him. I had a case study that I wanted his professional opinion on, and meant to mail him some stuff and chat with him about it over the phone. Why didn't I?!? I guess that I thought that his time was too valuable for my prattling.

Yesterday I started to hear in the blog community that William Zeus Bligh-Glover, MD, a.k.a. William The Coroner had passed away. I went to Breda, and she gave me the bare details that she had: he had been sick for a while, and was found on Saturday to have passed. I was stunned. He had just blogged on Friday afternoon!! The man was only 43! Friend Rabbit and I raised a glass last night to his memory last night. Euripides had a point about debts.

When I got the confirmation today that it was true, I read his brief obituary, and learned that his family requests that any memorial gifts given in his name go to Heifer International.  Hey, if Bill was like me, he'd rather you spend the money on something worthwhile rather than flowers. So I looked up what this worthy organization is about. They have a project where they get dairy cows and chickens and goats and the like to starving people to manage and help themselves. Their motto is "We give a hand up, not a handout." I like that.

I'm going there to donate right now.  I don't have much. But hell, I'd have at least bought the man dinner. That's worth $25, right? Can I get you all to kick in just $5 each? Make sure that it's known that you're doing it in the memory of William Zeus Bligh-Glover, MD.

We lost a good one, this week. Make it count.

"'We're all worm bait waiting to happen. It's what you do while you wait that matters.'” --Kinky Friedman, quoted on William The Coroner's Forensic Files.

__________
EDIT: Okay, there doesn't seem to be a dedication place, though you could register your donation as coming form William Bligh-Glover, and then fill in the credit card stuff from yourself. Or just make mention on your blog or to a friend that you did this thing in his memory. BTW, though they would like you to buy a share of a heffer or a flock of ducks or trio of rabbits or a llama or whatnot, they'll also do whatever number of dollars you want to donate, to wherever the need is greatest. I trust that Bill's family chose this charity for a good reason.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

William was truly a nice guy, and yeah that SMLE was pretty hosed :-) It was DEFINITELY a defender of our civil liberties, and he was damn good at what he did. He will truly be missed.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:31:00 AM, Blogger charlotte g said...

FYI, I have a Heifer International catalogue. I get one every year. It follows the "teach a community how to start a fish farm to survive" mentality, and that he and his were aware points out a lot about the man.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:08:00 PM, Blogger DaddyBear said...

Thanks Matt. I threw what I could in the pot.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2011 5:05:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Thanks, DaddyBear.

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:32:00 PM, Anonymous Dwight Brown said...

It made me very happy to find out that Heifer International is one of the charities that my company will match donations to.

 
At Friday, November 04, 2011 2:09:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Thanks, Dwight! Take advantage, please! And please, please tell your HR thank you.

 
At Friday, November 04, 2011 11:40:00 AM, Anonymous Dwight Brown said...

Done and done, Matt.

And thanks for your post, too, as that's where I first found out about the memorial gift request.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.