Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The thing about freedom and equality...

...it spreads.

My co-worker came into the police department this morning to relieve me. While I finished up on a DWI report, he checked his web-based email, which popped up the news. “So,” he said with what I perceived as a smirk, “New York state has made it legal for gays to marry…!”

Good. Maybe we’ll be next,” I said.

“I know, right?!?” said my conservative, VERY hetero, recently-married cop buddy.

Despite the stereotypes and the expectations of the opposition, many, many of us stand behind equality. More than the bigots know. That’s part of their downfall.

My friend may well have been trying to set up a derisive joke, but the things he said over the next few seconds told me that really, he'd just been waiting to hear someone else say that they support equality. I'm glad that I could answer that call. I think that he'll feel more empowered to next time start that discussion with, "It's about damned time."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Bravo! Bravo! Doncha just love it? I might have to go out and find an "I *heart* New York" bumper sticker!
(sigh) Now if they could just do something about the gun laws...

 
At Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:35:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Consenting adults who love each other and want to make a lifetime committed relationship should be able to do so in a recognized way. Good on 'em.

 
At Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:20:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

People are working harder to DIVIDE this country along any 'faults' they can find... Y'all's response would floor the left wing loonies...

 
At Monday, June 27, 2011 7:40:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

It would be disingenuous to take any other position and claim to be for freedom and equality before the law.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:53:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Yup. I'm about a firmly hetero as they, um, come, but equality, dammit! Geez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.