Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The cute dog on my day off.






The neighbors across the way have a cute little brown puppeh. Really cute. No, even I can't handle the cute. They work all the time, and are almost never home. The puppy runs loose. While this is a violation of our city ordinance, I don't care; she's adorable, and she's harmless, and when I'm home, I'm off-duty. And since she runs across the street to play with my family and the other neighbors, it's like having a puppy dog on time-share. Remember how it used to be-- the neighborhood dogs that everyone knew? That everyone petted and even fed, but at day's end, they went home? That's kind of how this is amounting to be.



We are after some thought growing a little afraid that the puppy would get run over in our street.





Friday, some girls come by my house and ask me if they can take the puppy, because it's not being taken care of. I look at the dog's taut little belly, and silky coat, and look across at the pan of food and pan of water, and tell them that I don't see how the dog's being mistreated, though it would be nice if she were kept in an enclosure for her safety. They say that she will get run over, and beg my permission to take her. Hey-- I'm just an off-duty cop. Who made me that dog judge? No, I tell them. That dog belongs to those people. Leave her alone. They point out that she is sooooo cute. I agree. I go back inside.





Sunday, we learn from my other neighbor that they came and took the dog Saturday night.





My wife is FURIOUS. "You don't just come take someone's dog!" she complains. "That's not right!"



I happen to agree, but it's not my call. Perhaps there was an agreement made with the neighbors across the street, who are NEVER home. Maybe they put the dog out for someone to take. Maybe they were hoping to leave it, as I hear that they're about to move. I look for the chance to talk to them. They're never home. Finally I see one man loading up a car. He's clearly nervous about talking to me, and I gather that it's because he's not technically legally here. He's full-on south-of-the-border Mexican. I make myself approachable, but he says nothing, and leaves. Well, I hoped that someone would say something. I got nothing. I go inside.





My wife is madder than ever. If only I had a complaint? I have checked at the P.D. twice to see if they had made a complaint about the dog missing or stolen. Nothing.



Then my mother calls. A note was left on her door Monday night when she was asleep. The girl who owns the doggy wants her back. She's moving, she says, and thinks that maybe my mom has the dog. (Mom lives next door to me, and the kids played with it in her yard a lot.)


Finally, this is the request for help that I've been looking for! I grab my daughter and put her in the car, to guide me to which house the girls reside. It turns out that they live in a multi-family dwelling about 4 blocks away. I park well away so that my daughter can't be seen, and make contact. I keep it informal, but explain that they can't just take a person's dog, and now the owners think my family has it. Five minutes later, I have the dog, and I take it home. I'm a minor hero with my wife and kids.





Mom wants to buy the dog. The people who stole it want to buy the dog. I put a note on the dark front door of the neighbors explaining the situation. Mom calls me over to put HER note on the front door. I put my phone number in the note, asking them to call to get their dog.





They don't call.





The dog pees on my rug and sets to chewing things, and barking at the cats.





Turns out that this pitch of dog bark resonates quite well on ceramic and stone tile. Ow.





I put the little bitch into a dog kennel and put her in the laundry room. (Ceramic tile.) I cover the kennel with a large rug. I go to sleep.





This morning, still no call.





It's possible that I moved too late.


It's a cute dog and all, but it's still a puppy, and needs training, and Mom's house needs better fencing. I don't have a fence. I don't feel like signing on for this.



Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:13:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Sure you need a dog. Who's going to guard the chickens when you're not there? I wouldn't count on the cats to do it.

Besides, it's CUTE!

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPCA? Something tells me the young ladies in the multi-family would soon tire of the young pup in favor of the next Justin Bieber CD release, or when they were forced to clean up after the dog's business. At least with the SPCA, there's a good chance a responsible pet owner would adopt.

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:20:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sounds like you have a new dog.

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:05:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

I'll take him.

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:05:00 PM, Blogger suz said...

Small fenced enclosure in Mom's yard? (Along with training to stay away from the street.)

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:29:00 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

The cute dog is painfully cute...

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:31:00 PM, Blogger Farmmom said...

No good deed goes unpunished LOL

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:43:00 PM, Blogger Farm.Dad said...

bring her to blogarado with the rest of the family .. if nothing else she can shag nerd beer caps from the driveway. And congrats on the " new girl " you have grown .

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing is so expensive as a free puppy. You big softie.


-Spear-

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farmmom beat me to it

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:30:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

"I'm a minor hero with my wife and kids."

Your family is proud of you.

There are things to be learned from 'most any experience. Someone should have mentioned to you:
I. This hero business has a down side.
II. No good deed goes unpunished.
"Here endeth the lesson."

.

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2011 8:48:00 AM, Blogger Zdogk9 said...

Sounds like you got drafted.

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:21:00 AM, Blogger charlotte g said...

Dammit. I want her. She's not a he, dear son. And Sunday is Mother's Day. And I bet I can get that ole' hole in the gate patched today or tomorrow. Easy. The rest is solid. I've already been scoping out the puppy chow. I know this is the wrong time, but seriously she is the right dog. Pleeeeaase?

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:50:00 AM, Anonymous KCSteve said...

Would it be too snarky to suggest naming her 'Libya'?

She is a well-meant assist you could hardly refuse that's turning into an entanglement, potentially due to a delay in implementation.

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:32:00 PM, Blogger charlotte g said...

Hmph. Happy ending. well.
Isn't that the way? There's always someone unhappy with the happy ending ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.