Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, April 02, 2011

This and that.

Sorry I've not been feeling it in the form of good blogging, lately. We'll try the shotgun approach:

  • --I bought a '94 Dodge van last week for $500. It runs like a top, has good A/C, a trailer hitch and working trailer lights connections, good rubber, and a stout luggage rack. It doesn't have any seats behind the front seats. Time to do some chores that I've been meaning to tend to, and I may just put together some kind of business with my shift partner. We'll see. In the mean time, the ride makes me look like a prime suspect for any future abductions. The word "skeevy" comes to mind.

  • --I bought my wife an iPad 2 in 32gig 3G. It was difficult to find. The guy at Radio Shack was so customer friendly, he put me on a list and called me and held it for me when it came in. That guy needs a raise. The wife loves the iPad. I don't know yet just how useful it is. I can't type on it very well, though Marko says that he can, pretty well. Marko does not have hands as big and clumsy as I do. Neither did the silverback Lowland Gorilla that I saw today at the Dallas Zoo.

  • --When we took my daughters and friends to the zoo today, we found parking was $7 per car (we took two), and admission was $12 a head. Then there was the cost of food inside. The animals ate well. Giraffes eat romaine lettuce and RyeCrisp crackers that you can buy from a vendor there. The bald eagle ate fresh quail. The fossa had a very nice looking rabbit. I don't recall my parents spending so much when they took me to the zoo as a kid. Still, we liked it.

  • --Dunno what other heeled visitors were carrying, but with the temps in the high 80's, I just wore my standard J-frame stoked with +P .38 Spl, with a NY reload of a P3AT in my pocket. The roundbutt .38 rode VERY nicely in my new but steadily-being-worn holster by Mike, which I need to do a review on soon.

  • --I found myself the other day able to compare Tamara's favorite Stone's Ruination IPA with my old standard Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. The Ruination has a more pure note of bitterness all the way from the initial sip through the fair-thee-well. The Dogfish Head has a more complex flavor, with more malt and mouth feel. The head is almost crunchy. This will require more study. --I used the van tonight to fetch home 24 bales of Owens Corning pink insulation and a blower, so that in the morning I might blow in about 12" of insulation into my mom's attic and perhaps another 6" over my garage.

  • --My wife made a wonderful curry with venison on Thursday, and it suffers not one whit as leftovers, served over fluffy basmati rice. It seems that pressure-cooked venison makes a superb base for curry. If you're concerned about the gamey flavor of venison (we're not), may I heartily recommend you try it in a vindaloo?

  • --I was able to help a local family out recently, after their kid went on the lam, merely by picking up the phone and calling a fellow law enforcement professional. It seems the run-away son got himself picked up (in Texas, you can be a runaway at 17, but can still be held in grown-up jail for your criminal actions) for a minor misdemeanor (fibbing about his age). LawDog made sure that, while his stay may not have been comfortable or fun, it was at least safe and reasonably smooth. Classification is something of an art, and sometimes it takes a nudge from an artist with LD's knowhow to keep the puppies out of the wolves' dens. Problem child is back at home, mending fences. With a little help from some people he's never even met, he'll get by. (Thanks, 'Dog.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Sunday, April 03, 2011 9:04:00 AM, Blogger Daddy Hawk said...

I don't know the ages of the kids you had in tow, but the DART red line stops at the zoo and kids 5 to 14 ride free. High school students also ride free with a valid photo ID from their school if it's within the DART service area. Two adult tickets would have been $8.00 versus the $14.00 for parking two cars. Might have paid for a drink or something at the zoo.

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2011 2:37:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Good backfill :-) And if it were me, I'd paint that van... just sayin... :-)

 
At Monday, April 04, 2011 12:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Venison curry sounds AMAZING, and JB is right there with you on Stone IPA vs. DFH. It's the classic West Coast vs. East Coast style of IPA. Naturally, here on the Best Coast, JB likes his piney, citrusy, and bitter. :) All in all, sounds like a fabulour dinner you two put together!

 
At Monday, April 04, 2011 1:37:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

Giraffles and heffalumps!

:)

Beware: A cargo van (or long-bed pickup)will, like a boat or a pool, tend to make you lots of friends all of a sudden. Usually on weekends, when you had other plans.

 
At Monday, April 04, 2011 2:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could paint 'free candy' on the outside of the van?

Matt
St Paul

 
At Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:46:00 AM, Blogger LawDog said...

De nada, amigo. That sort of thing is kind of why we're here.

 
At Saturday, April 09, 2011 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

Venison curry? Now you've given me ideas.

Sounds like life is going well for you. Enjoy every moment of it, van and all.

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:42:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Dogfish Head is good stuff. Come to Arlington, and I'll take you to the restaurant. Good bar food, and excellent beer. :-)

 
At Monday, April 25, 2011 9:58:00 PM, Anonymous Chuck Dye said...

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid runs with Ruination in the I.B.U. count, has a much maltier base to support the hops.

Try, you might like!

 
At Friday, April 29, 2011 2:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time buy the season pass. You get free coupon discounts for food an merchandise and reduced prices to other zoos (San Antonio). A few free hours on a Saturday leads to more frequent visits at no additional cost.

 
At Friday, April 29, 2011 5:39:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Actually, we bought the family pass, and are planning our next visit.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.