Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Necessary evils.

Every once in a while you run across a piece of bureaucracy that is not only needed, but which does its job pretty well.


I called TCLEOSE today with a couple of questions about my peace officer's license, and was struck yet again by how courteous and helpful their small staff always is in helping me with finding out the information that I need. I've heard that their staff is around 20 people, managing the licensing, credentials, and certificates for:

74,913 Peace Officers
283 Reserve Licensees
24,047 Jailers
2,366 Temporary Jailers
8,843 Telecommunicators
940 Temporary Telecommunicators


By my calculator's count, that's 111,392 police, jailer, and telecommunicator licenses that they keep up with. (Note: many of those licenses are redundant. It's not uncommon for a jailer to go to police academy and get his peace officer's license carried, and then also to occasionally work as a telecommunicator as well.)

Every time that I've talked to those people, they were able to get me the information that I needed, and were pleasant. Not just "human," but genuinely pleasant to deal with.

Look, so long as we're going to be licensing peace officers and jailers and the ilk, we'd better have training requirements and such. And if we're going to do that, then we've got to have people administering the licensing. So isn't it nice that these people, paid by taxpayers' dollars and licensing fees, are actually doing a decent job of it?

I may actually send an attaboy letter to their director, I'm so impressed.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, April 25, 2011 7:03:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Matt, I'm sure they would appreciate it! They sound like a VERY unusual group of folks... :-)

 
At Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:53:00 AM, Blogger John B said...

good one Matt!
and my favorite oxymoron to get furious about as well :)
Necessary Evil

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:26:00 AM, Blogger shooter said...

That is a good thing to hear about our state licensing agency. Now...If I could only find a hiring police department to act the same way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.