Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sheltered youth.

~1983. I was hanging out over at the house of a neighbor kid's, and we were listening to his new "jam box," as we had been told it was called. Zounds! A radio, integral cassette player and recorder, with a pair of 6" speakers and, most impressive to my 11 year old self, a 3-band graphic equalizer. Wowie.

So, as we sat listening to my buddy's rock album, his older brother came in, and gave us a measure of crap for listening to "that gay band." We were up in arms. No, we didn't even play the "not that there's anything wrong with that" card-- we just denied that it could be the case. This particular song that we were listening to was tough! Edgy! The singer was talking about kicking some butt! How could you think anyone in that band was homosexual? They didn't even exhibit the classic gay features (whatever those were. I guess to wear a pink lace dress. I didn't exactly know what I was talking about.).

Looking back, I might have been in error.

The band? Queen. The song we used to defend their heterosexual chops with? "Another One Bites The Dust." Maybe I would have figured it out, if I had seen this live performance.

Ol' Freddy sure 'nuff was a showman, wudn't he?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Saturday, October 30, 2010 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Sabra said...

With a moustache like that, I'm sure y'all weren't the only ones fooled. Gay or not, he induced ovulation wherever he went.

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:00:00 PM, Anonymous Stingray said...

From now on, if I have to provide a definition or example of "mincing around," I'm using that clip.

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:26:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

LOL...

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2010 6:56:00 PM, Blogger KurtP said...

That was the announcement at Great Mistakes recruit training command, that a boot had flunked out of training.

Freddy Mercury, great composer, but pre-orthodonty, I don't thing male or female would want those gnashers close to their junk.

 
At Sunday, October 31, 2010 12:13:00 AM, Blogger ZerCool said...

Queer as a three dollar bill, and a damn AMAZING performer.

 
At Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:28:00 PM, Blogger Don said...

KurtP, it's said that people close to Mercury asked him why he didn't use his new riches to fix his teeth, but he knew how unique his sound was and was afraid that monkeying around with his mouth would change it.

 
At Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing I found most notable about that clip was the fact that Freddy sounded as good as he did in the recorded tracks, which, from personal experience, is rather rare.

I have to admit though...DAYMN, Freddy. Just DAYMN.

 
At Monday, November 15, 2010 1:38:00 AM, Blogger Justthisguy said...

Don, I have read that Winston Churchill insisted that his false teeth exactly imitated his natural teeth, so as to make sure that he spoke with his famous lisp.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.