Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

A small matter of necessity.

What to do when your work is arguably as dangerous as the cops', but your job disallows you to legally carry a weapon?

In some cases, you may decide that you'll just have to risk your life, unarmed. That's your decision, but you made it.

Others, though, will decide that it's better to just quietly carry a weapon, try to avoid conflict, and deal with the consequences if they should have to use it.

Farm Girl, the small-handed woman who doesn't much like small pocket pistols, has decided that it's better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission, and is breaking a minor company policy to ensure her own safety.

She's not breaking any laws. She's not looking for trouble. She's just not willing to risk her own life, over a silly rule made by a company that she's not willing to die for.

Farm Girl is not compromising the quality of her work. She's not allowing this to affect anything else about her. She'll be just as friendly to her customers and co-workers. She'll get just as much done. It's just that she chooses to arm herself, with the smallest gun she can find, which no one will ever see, unless Things Happen.

I can get behind that.

There are other jobs, should Things Happen.

Good job, Farm Girl.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:04:00 PM, Blogger suz said...

You got that right! I was "secretly" armed when I worked the graveyard shift in a C-store. And the cops were my best friends! Even when the didn't have time to come in, they'd pull into the lot, flash their spotlights, and wait for me to wave. Rules or no rules, my goal was to go home in one piece at the end of my shift.

 
At Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realized how long I've been reading your blog when I saw that picture of your hands. I know I've made comments before, but I've never said thanks for writing, so I'll do that now. I know a lot of blogs are given freely without cost, and I don't think I've seen a paypal bucket here, but I just wanted you to know, Matt, that another Matt values your info, insight and links.

You (and Farmgirl) have probably moved me to consider keeping a firearm at arms handiness at my job, regardless of whether or not I could be fired. Thanks for the reality check.

Matt
St Paul

 
At Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:15:00 AM, Blogger FarmGirl said...

The job is definitely not worth my life. And the p32 is growing on me, if for no other reason than pure handiness.

It's just that my other guns are been dual-purpose... protection AND fun... and the pocket pistols didn't fit that dual purpose role.

Until now, I didn't have enough incentive to lay down that much cash on a single purpose gun.

 
At Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:20:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Concur! FG is doing the right thing!

 
At Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:29:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Admittedly, the P32's aren't much fun, because they don't have much inherent accuracy. (Trust me-- I've checked. Time and again.) But where were you when I was lobbing .38 Special bullets at the water jugs at 100 and 150 yards with my J-Frame 2", last month? That's some good clean fun, right there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.