Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, May 03, 2010

Repackaging.


My wife and I sometimes talk about "the best ________ in the world." She has been known to go on at length about "the best Coke in the world," after getting over-heated in Cozomel, once. I have always liked real Coca Cola, but had pretty much given up on the stuff in favor of un-sugared drinks about 20 years ago, in deference to my waistline, the fact that diabetes runs in my family, and the fact that spilling is not a maybe thing for me: it just happens. Spilt diet drinks are a lot less of a hassle to clean up.

But sometimes, just a quick little taste of real* Coke really hits the spot.

Coke has started marketing their flagship soft drink in eight-packs of 7.5 ounce cans. I've got to say, they hit me right where I live. At 90 calories, I ain't skeered of the hit to the diet. Individually sealed, you'll never get a flat sip of beverage. And with that massive can-to beverage surface area ratio, they chill in minutes. Though I've not tried them as such, I would imagine that they'd be the bee's knees for bar mixing, too. One of these and a shot of Bacardi in a tall glass of ice would make a perfect rum Coke.

It's a smart thing, managing to get a bit more market share by just changing the package. My hat's off to the guys in Atlanta. Now, one wonders if they'll keep it, or if this is just a test marketing thing that they'll decide is not panning out?

In the meantime, they're a lot more fun to play "imagine that I'm a giant" with than are Brussels sprouts.


__________________________
*Yes, I know it's corn syruped, and has no cocaine. But you know.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Monday, May 03, 2010 7:15:00 PM, Blogger FarmGirl said...

IMAGINE?!? That can't be hard.. you ARE a giant.

 
At Monday, May 03, 2010 7:50:00 PM, Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

Do they sell the version anywhere in these parts that has real sugar in it, versus corn syrup? I want to make some chili with it, but I want to use Coke with sugar.

 
At Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:53:00 AM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

I've seen those catcher's mitts you call hands.

That's probably a full-sized can of Coke you're holding.

 
At Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:34:00 AM, Blogger elmo iscariot said...

In the meantime, they're a lot more fun to play "imagine that I'm a giant" with than are Brussels sprouts.

They're still nowhere near as fun as watermelon jelly-bellies.

As Lore Sjoberg said, you can play Gojira Visits the Melon Patch".

Do they sell the version anywhere in these parts that has real sugar in it, versus corn syrup?

The best bets in the US are grocery stores that cater to hispanic folks, which will sometimes carry Mexican Coke, made with cane sugar. Some upscale supermarkets here in Jersey carry it in the ethnic food section, too.

If you live anywhere near a decent Jewish population, cane sugar Coke is distributed through the normal supply chain leading up to Passover (when any grain products--including corn syrup--are verboten). There may still be some in stores with slow turnover. Look for the 2-liter bottles with yellow caps.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:11:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Good one! And yes, more and more people are coming out with the little cans, but NOT with little prices... sigh...

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:05:00 PM, Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

Thanks for the tips, Elmo! Appreciate it.

 
At Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:17:00 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

I buy my Coke in old-fashioned glass bottles, and it's made with real sugar. It used to be that I could only get them at Mexican Tiendas or a convenience store that had a large Hispanic customer base. Recently I found 24 pack cases of it at Sam's Club for under $20 a case.

It has impacted my waistline, however. I usually make it a rule to only have one a day, but because they're satisfying, I can do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.