Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, May 03, 2010

I'm back.


You may have noticed a slow-down in posts. My home computer has been down with a virus, and a major re-install was effected. Drivers were lost in the re-install, and had to be hunted down. Boring stuff that interests me as little as it interests you, but there it is.

In the mean time, I've been working on the house. Finally, my portion of the garage has been marginally organized. As my wife's studio takes up 2/3 of the original garage, the remainder with the tools and detritus of life has been rather packed and full of miscellaneous boxes. We killed those boxes yesterday, and sorted most of the miscellany into boxes marked with their contents. ("Electrical parts," "Plumbing," "Screws and nails", etc.) These were put onto three good-sized rolling shelving units, to be pulled out of the way to get to my work bench, in the far corner. It doesn't look like much, but trust me: this is a huge improvement.

Ah, yes, the work bench. Soon it will sport a mounted bench grinder, very large vise, and a small drill press. Above it will be mounted heavy duty shelving, and soon will be added a single-stage reloading press. It's time to get this show on the road, and get some home reloading done without having to head to Dad's every single time I need to load some rounds. I'm looking at putting the standard table-height work bench up on cinder blocks, to give me a more comfortable height to work from. Peg board still needs to be mounted. A fluorescent work light needs to be mounted over the bench.

I'm considering running connections for the air compressor between the studio and the garage/shop. Can anyone give me a good reason to go to the trouble of plumbing black pipe, as opposed to just running HP hose lines with splitters and valves? The hoses would be out of the weather, and obviously carry nothing more deadly than compressed air.

I've got to admit that this is first time that I've actually properly set up a garage workspace.

We've just installed a portable cooling unit in the studio, and it shares air space with the garage/shop. I may look into the cost of insulating the garage door.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At Monday, May 03, 2010 5:37:00 PM, Blogger eriko said...

some guys in Texas talk about garage door insulation here
http://toolmonger.com/2010/03/15/hot-or-not-garage-door-insulation/


In particular this product
http://www.texasgarages.com/insulation.htm

They seem to like it.

 
At Monday, May 03, 2010 7:49:00 PM, Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

Welcome back!

 
At Monday, May 03, 2010 9:44:00 PM, Anonymous Robert said...

My vote is for black pipe (or even fancier/prettier galvanized). Four-legged critters don't knaw through rigid pipe like they might through (unarmoured)hoses; Two-legged critters with hacksaws can cut through armoured hose while rigid pipe is too much work to attack. Then again, I'm not the one doing the labor. Good luck.

 
At Monday, May 03, 2010 10:19:00 PM, Blogger JPG said...

Have I mentioned that I have a spare medium-size RCBS press in the rental storage unit? There's also a balance powder scale, a powder measure, and a couple of loading blocks. What dies do you want besides .243 and .30'06?

Hey, I'll help with your project . . .

Da'

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:08:00 AM, Blogger John B said...

I'd go with black pipe. It's actually cheaper than those hoses. Even if you did as I did and made little roll over ramps for each side of the pipe. Our last compressor died, so we got an old home built one feeding the pipes through a washing machine water hose. If I ever do more than three days a month of work requiring a compressor, I'll splurge. Otherwise I'll wait for one to fall in my lap.

Moot point as I'll be leaving WA State soon.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:03:00 AM, Blogger Pawpaw said...

Schedule 40 PVC is rated at 200 psi. How much pressure do you intend to run? We plumbed my son's air lines in his shop with the plastic and two years later it's holding just fine.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:14:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Black pipe also does not tend to "sweat" as much as a hose will internally... an issue if you're using any kind of sprayer. AND it's cheaper!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.