Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Practicing like we play (?)

I shot the local law enforcement pistol/carbine match this weekend. This is held at a small-ish outdoor range, and when each shooter shoots a stage of the match, he is the sole shooter. Shooting my P.D. carbine, I went to a stage where I was to run hard to a square, fire three shots from weak hand, move up to another square and do it again, and move to another square and do it again. I got to the second square, and found that my cheap oversized ear muffs were interfering with my cheek weld with my stock, so that I couldn't see my carbine sights. This stage allowed no "make-up" shots for misses, and misses were 5 seconds apiece. The clock was ticking. I angrily knocked off the muffs so that they clattered to the ground, and fired... "Cease fire! Cease fire!" yelled the range officer. I complied, and made the Colt M4 safe. I had gotten one shot off before he hollered. "No shooting without ear protection at this range." "Am I DQ'd for this stage?" I asked. "Yes. You can shoot the next stage, with ear protection. But you are disqualified from this stage," he said. "Okay," I said. You don't argue with the range master. It's his range. But I've got to admit, it seemed pretty danged silly to punish me so for failing to be muffed against the outdoor report from my suppressed carbine, which was so quiet that on the previous stage the timer hadn't heard my shots. I'm going to start keeping cheapy yellow foam plugs in my carbine kit, from now on.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go to Gander Mountain you can get a big vitamin bottle of ear plugs for cheap and keep them in your range bag.

The Peltor Shotgunner muffs work well with long guns. Don't forget the socks from Brownells so you don't sweat them to death in the Tejas heat.

Shootin' Buddy

 
At Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:44:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

What about getting a set of molded plugs like Holly got a couple of years ago?

I should get a pair for myself if I ever find the folks who make them.

 
At Monday, April 26, 2010 6:38:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

That is why I used molded ear plugs... sigh... Not fair, but his range, his rules, his ball.

 
At Monday, April 26, 2010 8:42:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

I don't really want new muffs unless I can get quality new electronic ones. I don't want to spend the money on molded ear plugs to shoot a carbine that doesn't need them. I want the yellow foam plugs for appearance's sake.

 
At Monday, April 26, 2010 9:19:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

Rabbit - -

H and I got ours from Chuck Dade, dB Specialties In Plano, phone 972-578-1829.
www.db-specialties.com

Chuck is a nice guy who usually sets up at Dallas Market Hall Gun Show, but I don't know where else. I'm glad for the chance to send him some business.
JPG

 
At Monday, April 26, 2010 9:25:00 AM, Anonymous KCSteve said...

Speaking as someone who has some of the molded plugs (there's a guy often at gun shows around here) you want them. You don't need them for your suppressed carbine, true, but in general, you want them.

I use them in preference to my electronic muffs.

 
At Monday, April 26, 2010 1:52:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Thanks! I'll catch up with him in June.

 
At Monday, April 26, 2010 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Thanks; I'll plan to get a fitting in June when the next Market Hall show comes up, per his schedule.

 
At Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:27:00 AM, Blogger shooter said...

Surefire also has a set of ear plugs that I find work very well. Fairly inexpensive and I keep a couple sets around. One in my range bag, and one in my carbine case.

 
At Friday, April 30, 2010 4:49:00 AM, Blogger KD5NRH said...

Aw heck, just carry a can of spray foam insulation in your bag. :)

(Then again, if you have an area you don't mind making a hell of a mess in, a clogged-after-one-small-use can of that stuff makes a great reactive target.)

 
At Friday, April 30, 2010 6:42:00 PM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

At work they got us these Nascar approved ear plugs. I have to say, they're pretty darn good. I don't even wake myself up snoring. :-)

 
At Monday, May 03, 2010 4:31:00 AM, Blogger John B said...

I got the Pretty in Pink ear plugs.
One more point of hearing protection.
And no one bums me for a pair.
Used to be a range rule ya hadda pay $2.00 when ya forgot your plugs. I wear plugs and muffs until I get a feel for the report.

 
At Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the same reason I've learned that muffs are for pistol shooting, while molds/plugs are for rifles and shotties. It's hard enough getting a reasonable cheek weld on a M1A, and trying to do so with big ear muffs on is an exercise in futility.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.