Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Late to the party. Again.

You ever had friends reference a book as being great, and you nod, knowing that you SHOULD have read it, but can't quite admit that you haven't? You're agreeing that it probably is good, because people you know and trust have said so, but you're not saying "Yes, I read it." That would be dishonest.

But still, you don't want to openly admit that you're among the unwashed who hasn't yet read this classic.

Maybe I'm the only one.

Anyway, I've been acquainted with Larry Correia for about 7 or 8 years. I wear shirts that he designed and distributed for The Firing Line staff (Larry had actually joined the site months before I did). We've been staff members together on The High Road.

Larry's an interesting guy. Big. Really big. Portuguese descent, lives in Utah, is an accountant who put himself through college the hard way. He also, I believe I've mentioned, started up FBMG, a fun little shop that sells any kind of firearm that can be had. No, not just those-- ANY kind. They have a bit of fun out there in the high desert.

Well Larry's latest iteration of self is that he's a writer.

A writer who discusses the practical extermination of monsters.

Vampires? Sure thing. Three kinds, and thanks for asking.
Werewolves? First shake out of the box.
Zombies. Wights. Gargoyles. Golems. All are slain in Larry's first novel.

Slain with shotguns, pistols, rifles, Gurkha knives, flamethrowers, and RPGs.

For every one of you out there who's sick and tired of the Twilight series taking over everything, this is your vindication. In Larry's book, vampires are killed by the good guys, because they are dangerous, predatory, and evil. (Seems like there's a moral in there, somewhere.)

Most of you reading this already know very well that I'm talking about Monster Hunter International, the critically-acclaimed book by Larry Correia that was released by Baen books back on July 28th, 2009.

Larry writes about what he knows. He knows about being a giant in a small man's world (right there with you, pal). He knows about being an accountant who has "other skills." He knows about guns. He knows about having to deal with a big government that he doesn't have a whole lot of respect for. And you gather that he's always known, down deep, that there's something less-talked about, which lurks beneath the concrete surface of reality as we know it.

I'm ashamed of the fact that I hadn't yet read it, even though I had been around to read some of his early drafts before he sent them off-- even before Kathy Jackson proofed them.

I meant to. But I wanted to have my copy inscribed by Larry, himself.

So it was with great pleasure this Christmas, when I got a nice package from FarmGirl and FarmMom, with cookies... and a copy of M.H.I that had been personally dedicated to me by Larry Correia, with his logo above his signature. What a delightful and thoughtful gift from FarmGirl.

I'll tell you right now-- it's a great read. At over 700 pages, it's a surprisingly quick read, as well.

On his bio at The High Road, Larry Correia lists his occupations as "Accountant, gun/gear dealer, wannabe writer." I've since read that he's updated his bio elsewhere to "accountant, writer, retired gun dealer, and finance manager at a defense contractor."

If his next book is as good as his first, he'll need to retire the other jobs, too.

Go get a copy, and enjoy a fun read.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:05:00 PM, Blogger FarmGirl said...

You needed the smile, I had the means to provide it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

:)

 
At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Farmmom said...

So glad you enjoyed it! It was a small thing for us to do for a very sweet guy.

 
At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:56:00 PM, Anonymous Larry Correia said...

Plus I got to meet Farmgirl and Farmmom when they picked it up for you, so it was a win all the way around. :)

Thanks for the review, Matt.

 
At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:42:00 PM, Blogger Robert McDonald said...

Great book! I didn't get a copy of it myself until last month, and man was I kicking myself for waiting so long. On the plus side, I don't have near as long as some for the next book in the series.

 
At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:10:00 PM, Anonymous Shrimp said...

I've been meaning to buy M.H.I., ever since I first heard about it. I've been putting it off, mostly because I'm cheap and lazy. (I have no real excuse, so that's got to be the reason)

I'm gonna get me a copy. Before the end of this month.

Thanks for the impetus.

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:23:00 AM, Blogger Mikael said...

Yup... bit late to the party.

I've read it cover to cover three times already... I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read it on a trans-oceanic plane flight. Which is good, because I tore through it. Great read!

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:27:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Ha!

I wasn't the last one to read it! :D

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Sabra said...

I gave my copy to a friend, who gave it to a friend...I have no idea where it is now. I need to go buy another copy. I am a huge fan of that genre; I remember going to the book store after finishing MHI and asking myself what the heck I was going to read now, 'cause I knew I wouldn't find anything else that good. Can't wait for the next one.

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Rabbit said...

My personal copy is now torn and dog-eared; the spine is nearly cracked. It has been passed around the office 'book club' for a few months now, and is currently of the hands of the guy in the cube next to me. I suppose I should go ahead and get another copy to insure I've got one, for those frequent nights when I don't sleep.

I read it the first time in two sittings. It's that good. I'd say I'm on my 5th reading, except I haven't had it in my hands in 3 weeks. I wish I could pre-order the following books that are in the works, Larry. The excerpts are great!

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:04:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Yep, he done good :-)

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:52:00 PM, Blogger Larry said...

I have it on good authority that if a big bag o' cash were dangled in the right direction a movie could be made...
Besides, it's pretty cool when the author himself shows up to thank you for your review, in person.

 
At Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:04:00 PM, Anonymous pax said...

Told you so. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.