Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Goodbye to a legend.

I've been reading opinions of federal court cases since I was in high school. One name that has kept coming up again and again was that of William Wayne Justice.

Mostly I've been aware of Judge Justice's work as a federal district judge in Tyler, TX. Before that, he was an east Texas federal prosecutor.

Many have hated Justice's rulings, which have led to desegregation across Texas, education for the children of even undocumented immigrants, and strict regulations for Texas jails and prisons.

But there's another side to those rulings, based in the strict interpretation of the law. I've heard many a jailer complain about the dictates pursuant to Ruiz v. Estelle, but I've never had it explained to me how the ruling was illegal or improper. [I know; I'm just a big stinkin' liberal. I think that even inmates (some of which are unconvicted) are allowed basic medical care, access to law libraries, and oversight of their holding facilities.]

He's passed on, still a senior federal district justice at 89 years of age.

So passes one of the great pillars of US and Texas criminal justice.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:52:00 AM, Anonymous Matt M said...

Judge Justice always had my respect. He has ruled over the decades that accepted practices are wrong, and must change, dragging Texas out of the early 20th century into the 21st century.

Thank you sir, and good bye.

 
At Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:44:00 AM, Blogger charlotte g said...

He added humanity to the law. And he knew his law. I honor him,and wonder what comes next. He was a good man. I am glad he was part of our judicial system.

 
At Friday, October 16, 2009 5:43:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

He epitomized the 'balance' of law, I just wonder who will be named to take his place, and if they will have the same balance... somehow I think not...

 
At Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:06:00 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I was shown your blog by a friend of mine. I am an Police Officer in west Texas. I take a bunch of flack from other officers for my civil libertarian stances and it is nice to see others in Law Enforcement understand that the Constitution is there to protect all citizens. I enjoy what I have read so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.