Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Firearms Instruction School: Day Four.

Today, I went back to my car, feeling only slightly-- SLIGHTLY-- let down.

We had been scheduled to go to the range in the afternoon and put in a couple of hours of shooting and diagnosing problems of other shooters. But instead, we stayed in the classroom, and each student had to give a 15 minute presentation. Mine, on the familiarization with the various forms of the M1911, was well-received.

The former Marine and current SWAT officer who gave a 15 minute demo on the Marine method of disassembling the M16/M-4/AR15 platform was very well done.

The woman who taught the full familiarization with the USP .40 taught a great course.

They guy who taught methods of securing and unloading various esoteric guns, with props, was very well-received.

The guy who taught the safety lecture did a good job.

The fellow who taught on various common shooting errors had some insights, and good pictures.

Everyone used good props. Everyone was passionate about what they taught on.

The instructor pointed out our errors in teaching (mine was in time management-- 5 minutes on History of Adoption of the M1911 was a bit excessive for a 15 minute lecture in which I was going to try to demonstrate the safety differences, wouldn't you think?) We all learned from the topics, but more importantly, we learned How To Teach more efficiently.

Basically, I got paid to talk about guns all day, today.

Tomorrow, I'm slated to shoot 600+ rounds, as we each run each other through the qualification courses that we write tonight. Awwww.... poor me.

_____________________________________
Yesterday, we shot shotgun, and I found that my patrol 870 was shooting well to the left of center. At 15 yards, the center of my pattern was at the left edge of a sheet of typing paper. I asked if they had punches and a mallet, and I drifted my front sight left. I went to 35 yards and shot at a sheet of typing paper with a Federal Tactical rifled slug. On paper, but still left of center. I drifted it further left, and shot another slug, this time from 50 yards. Dead center. Perfect.

I found that Federal Tactical 9 pellet 00 Buck is a very comfortable round to shoot, and turns in decent patterns. That said, the Federal PREMIUM Vital-Shok 9 pellet 00 Buck turns in astoundingly tight patterns, by virtue of its shot cup, which seems to envelop the shot out to about 10 yards. Would you believe 2" patterns at 12 yards? No, I'm not kidding.

Our group had a long discussion on the relative merits and demerits of a sling on patrol long guns, and one guy, who is very knowledgeable about shooting, stated flatly that he doesn't like them, and doesn't need them. I was astounded, and made some transition demonstrations for him, and gave him scenarios in support of slings. Nope. They "get in the way." Ooooookay. Our instructor, who had sparked the discussion on purpose, made us justify our positions on slings, as we would to an admin person who knows nothing of firearms and police work.

The training that I'm getting is really quite good, here.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Friday, October 09, 2009 6:02:00 AM, Blogger Pignock said...

What was the unbeliever's reply to your transition demo?

Beside dropping the long gun and unholstering the sidearm, how would HE transition?

Keith

 
At Friday, October 09, 2009 8:31:00 AM, Anonymous Vino said...

I'm living vicariously through you in class. While I'm stuck at a desk pushing keys, you get to talk and play firearms... sometimes life ain't fair.

I am quite enjoying your descriptions. It sounds like a great class, qualified instructors, and motivated students... what a dream!

Have fun, do well, stay safe...

 
At Friday, October 09, 2009 8:39:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

"Basically, I got paid to talk about guns all day, today."

Sometimes I miss the days when I called that "Going To Work". :D

 
At Friday, October 09, 2009 5:51:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Glad it's going well- Hope you're planning on repeating that M1911 lecture in Nov :-) Re the Vital shock, guess I'll have to try a box and see if my 590A1 likes them.

Shoot well Matt!

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:14:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

I like me some slings. Some infantry types feel they get in the way. Hey, whatever works for you, but I might suddenly need my hands.

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:14:00 AM, Anonymous Steve R said...

Thanks for sharing this, Matt. It is very interesting to follow along with what you are learning.

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:29:00 AM, Blogger makeumdothechicken said...

Do you guys have to qualify on a bullseye course the last day to graduate?

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:18:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Keith:
He said that it was too ungainly, and would catch on things while deploying from the car, and would give an agressor a handle on your.

All this is true enough, but there are reasonable answers to these objections.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:21:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Makeum:
No; our shooting-to-qualify course was the expert course that we fired on the first day.

We did shoot the qualification, training, and transition courses that we had composed for each other to shoot, on the last day.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:59:00 AM, Blogger makeumdothechicken said...

I guarantee you that anybody who has ever found themselves carrying a long gun for and extended period of time on a foot post such as when securing a perimeter, etc, will take a sling if you offer them one.

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 5:05:00 AM, Blogger makeumdothechicken said...

I guarantee you that anyone who ever spends a substantial period of time on a foot post, securing a perimeter etc, while carrying a long gun, will take a sling if you offer it them one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.