Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Interesting concept.

John Shirley invited me to "Blip.fm". I went, and listened to some of his music that he had chosen, and it was nice. John's in love, and can be excused if his chosen music tends to be more, uh, treacly, lately. ;)

On a whim, I opened my own account, and tried to see what it's about.

Actually, it's pretty simple.

After having registered, you search for songs and albums and bands that you like, and the site searches for them on the net. It seems to lean quite a bit on YouTube, but that's not quite half of the source. You can preview each song, and then remark about each song that you select.

Other people then come across your "radio station" and vote on whether they like your format. The more votes you get, the higher in the ratings you will be, which presumably will bring in more listeners, and more votes, if that's your thing. More votes for you means more credits to vote on other people's broadcast tightcasts. You start with ten credits.

The bonus for the company running it seems to be that they don't actually have to host the music, and get to post ads on the far right side, and they get kickbacks from iTunes and Amazon, who each get a link for each song played.

If nothing else, it builds a stable of music that I can listen to, when away from my music at home or my mp3 player. It may --I say again may-- be feasible as a business plan. I was quite sorry when the Yahoo radio station went away, and haven't started playing with Pandora.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Friday, September 04, 2009 1:26:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

Matt, for what it is worth I use pandora alot. I may hop over and see what this is about and compare.

Mr Fixit

 
At Friday, September 04, 2009 2:34:00 PM, Blogger The Lily said...

I like both for different reasons. The major differences between blip and pandora are: 1. with Blip *you* control the music. Any song, any artist, any genre and it gets saved to your playlist to be reblipped or propped by other listeners. But sometimes the music does disappear; and 2. You can listen indefinitely on blip. Pandora allots 40 hours of listening time per month for users and you cannot revist music unless it comes up again in your playlist.

 
At Saturday, September 05, 2009 3:06:00 AM, Blogger Gerald said...

Another one ya'll might try is Jango.com

 
At Saturday, September 05, 2009 1:25:00 PM, Anonymous LabRat said...

I'm a Pandora junkie. I have ten stations now, which I choose between when I need music for writing or for grinding in Warcraft. Might play with Blip if only because it would let me listen to certain things on demand.

 
At Monday, September 07, 2009 12:20:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

I got your treacle, boyo. Suck it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.