Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Get this through your head, people:

The ability to do harm does not translate into the intention to do harm.

This seems to be the biggest mental disconnect that is missing in the minds of the network newsies when they see armed citizens protesting OUTSIDE OF (when did standing 100 yards off the property of a civic center translate to being "at a town hall meeting?" Hell, the next time my chief orders me to attend a city council meeting, does this mean that I can sit across the street and check my email on my laptop, and claim attendance?) town hall meetings.

"Who in their right mind would attend a town hall meeting with a gun?!?"

"This appears to have the potential to turn violent."

Etc.

First, they're not IN THE MEETING. They're making a legal, peaceful protest outside. They are abiding by the laws of the land, and local ordinances. They are also, sadly, invoking their First Amendment, as well as their Second Amendment. I say sadly, because it really shouldn't be considered a radical statement to invoke an amendment under the U.S. Constitution. But since it is, I would submit that protesters with guns get a double dose of Bill Of Rights protection to their peaceful activities.

In the meeting, I'm moderately okay with heaters being left outside, so long as there is good security. There are factions out there who seem to view a town hall meeting or a city counsel meeting or what-have-you as an opportunity to show their inner soccer hooligan. If you can assure that we're all safe in there, then, yeah, I'll accept a few minutes (or droning hours-- have you ever been to one of those things?) of being disarmed.

But outside, on the street? Hundreds if not thousands of feet from the actual meeting but along the approach? Prithee, what would be a more appropriate venue to voice a public protest?

  • Be more afraid of the guy with a Lexus and a case of beer in the back seat.
  • Be more afraid of the kid filling up the gallon gas can for his lawn mower, with a lighter in his pocket.
  • Be more afraid of the soccer mom making brownies for the little league team with a bunch of rat poison under the sink.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I remember having a conversation with my liberal buddy in Boy Scouts, at age 14, one evening on a campout. He was shaken when I made my point thusly: "If you're so afraid of the ability to do harm, then why weren't you afraid that I might slit your throat with my pocketknife or my scatchet while you shared our tent last night?"

"You're scaring me, Matt!"

"Why?!? Because it just occurred to you that I have the ability to do you harm? Nothing has changed about me from five minutes ago, when I was your apparently harmless buddy. You've just realized that I possess the simple capability to hurt you. Now, in fact, I have no intention of ever harming you, and you don't ever have to worry about that from me, even if we stop being friends. But it's going to be a long, scary life for you if you can't get through your head that just because people can, doesn't mean people will. And for the most part, everyone can."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Recently, I disarmed a weird guy who was trespassing on the property of a single lady at night. I issued the guy a Criminal Trespass Notice, and kept his technically-illegal knife to go into my P.D.'s evidence locker. While giving the homeowner her copy of the Criminal Trespass Warning notice that I had served to the guy who had been on her property (he was a neighbor), I casually mentioned the knife.

She lost her mind. I mean, LOST HER MIND.

Look, this fellow wasn't right. I'll admit that. He was acting strangely. I don't make it a habit of disarming people over minor technicalities in the law, but this fellow pinged me as being a tad off plumb. But she had been in her open house, and he was outside, and he hadn't been waving the knife around-- it was just clipped to his waistband. You would have thought that she had just survived a hail of gunfire. I explained that I wouldn't interpret his possession of the knife as direct threat to her, but that I think she ought to have a plan in place, both for dealing with him specifically, and her personal protection, generally.

"So you think I should get a gun, then?"

"Lady, I said no such thing. But if you do, I strongly suggest that you get trained in the proper use and safety of it, by highly-qualified instructors. All I said is that you need to have a plan," I said.

"I never thought that I needed one," she told me.

While I appreciate her honesty in admitting this, I think that this is a kind of reality check that she has been lacking, in her assessment of the world: All weapons presented a threat, and she had no plan of action for her personal safety.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:43:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

It's jarring, isn't it? I don't get it. Some of the most potentially dangerous people I know have been the ones I respected most.

 
At Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:32:00 AM, Blogger Dan O. said...

Funny (weird, not ha-ha), that you said "...have a plan..." and she heard and kept insisting you said, "...get a gun...".

That right there is the last person I want owning a gun. One who can decipher non-coded messages. Sheesh!

 
At Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:29:00 PM, Blogger John B said...

I had a similar incident in grade school. A class mate had a habit of hitting people hard in the face, and running like a turbo gazelle. I clotheslined him in the act of doing this. I, the assailant, and the assualted, were sent to the principals office. I showed no guilt or remorse, as I had done nothing wrong. I was more interested in the loose chair armrests. I got out my scout knife and tightened the screws. Seeing this, the student assistant got on the intercom and Screamed "John B has a knife! Do you want me to take it away from him." "Good Luck with that one." I replied, pocketing my knife. Mr. Wilson came in, took me in to the office, asked me some questions, came out, pointed the assailant into the office, informed the student assistant that he could go back to his classroom.

Tha assailant was a cop for two months, The assaulted became a IRS employee. I became the professional ne-er do well you all know and love.

The student assistant became a big noise in the democrat party of washington state.

 
At Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:37:00 AM, Blogger Mikael said...

"The ability to do harm does not translate into the intention to do harm."

Yeah funny how some people can't grasp that...

I mean, I know about a dozen ways to kill unarmed, and more to break bones, tear muscles, etc. I loathe violance, but enjoy martial arts. I've got a tight rein on my temper, I'm hard to anger, and even when I am, it would take some serious provocation to make me do anything about it(outright assault, being mean enough to a woman or child would do it) I'm one of the safest persons to be around, but if someone ever manages to set me off... don't be them, ok. I used to have a short fuse, and it took me years to get my temper under control. I was a natural berserker in grade school. As in when I'm mad, I think only about hurting whoever I'm mad at, and feel no pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.