Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Webleys.

1. I want my old college roommate Bill to shoot a plate match, or even an IDPA match, with his Webley .380 2Z (.38 S&W) revolver. It was his first firearm, which he bought from my father back in the early 1990s. It has a beautiful polished blue finish, because it was a civilian police model. Bill got just plain stupid-fast in his reloads with that old break-top, using Colt speed-loaders and Ishapore FMJ. The .38 S&W rounds that he shot through it gave no major recoil for that good-sized revolver, and it was always a pleasure to shoot. But I was forever chastising him to leave the damned crossbolt safety off.

At about nearly the same time, I had purchased for my future wife an ancient old Iver Johnson with no finish on it, and I loaded up a bunch of swaged 148g HBWC loads over a little too much Unique powder for them both to have as manstopper loads. I loaded a lot of them backwards, and found that they would begin to keyhole at about 26 to 28 yards, but gave amazingly good accuracy at 20 yards. All of this came to mind the other day when I found a (forward-loaded) .38 S&W handload in my sock drawer the other day. I had found a box of pre-primed copper Western cases and loaded them up, making the high-sitting full wadcutter round in the red metal case look very distinctive. It took me back.

The .38 S&W is, compared to the .38 Special, kind of a pipsqueak round. But loaded with a soft lead bullet with a full-caliber meplat, it would not be inconsiderable as a self-defense round, and certainly blows the .380 acp right out of the water. I have a somewhat silly affection for the old round.

2. I have decided that my next gun purchase will be a Webley revolver, preferably but not exclusively a .455 of a mark prior to IV. I will probably have to accept one that has had its cylinder faced off to accept .45 Auto Rim cases.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:08:00 AM, Blogger Bunnyman said...

Mmmm...Webley.

I have a 120-year-old No.1 Mk.1. Single-action sear is worn too much to thumb-cock, but the double-actions is buttery smooth.

Minor problem: can't find speedloaders to save my life. Not without blowing $700 on a Prideaux Instantaneous Revolver Magazine at auction. Pity, 'cuz the break-action sure gets the empties out in a hurry.

Good luck, and definitely post pictures...

 
At Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:07:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Oh man, you should have been at Tulsa, there was a table FULL of old Webleys...

 
At Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Michael W. said...

Nah, not a freak. No more than someone who likes old cars, old rum and comfortable sweaters. The old webleys are no full bore race guns, but sometimes you just don't need a race gun. After all, they did build a empire with them didn't they.......

 
At Monday, November 24, 2008 7:23:00 AM, Blogger fastbike said...

A Webley .455? Charming in a masochistic way. May be cheaper just to beat yourself with a stick. Of course I speak w/o personal experience, but I have friends who have succumbed.

 
At Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:34:00 PM, Blogger Assrot said...

I like them old Brit guns too. I have a few of the Webleys in .38 as well as an Enfield.

I have a .455 that I paid an arm and a leg for but it's a beauty.

I wouldn't mind having one that has been re-arsenaled for .45 ACP just for a shooter. They are not easy to come by in good shape.

Good luck. Hope you find a decent one.

Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.