Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Matt's traveler tip of the day.

Have with you the means to find an alternate route to your destination.

Stopping and demanding for a viable detour from the cop directing 3 lanes of traffic through a half lane at an accident scene is not an option.

Oh, and if you've got one of those shexxy dash-mounted GPS devices with the pre-loaded maps on them, especially don't. My hand to Gawd, I had a citizen with a Garmin Nuuvi tell me, "This thing only tells me where I am! It doesn't, like, tell me the future, about, like, what's up ahead!" I leaned in her window, tapped the minus button on the map screen twice, and showed her that life existed beyond the edge of her previous LCD screen map. (This took approximately 1.5 seconds.)

And, while entertaining, ma'am, your partial disrobing does not move me to redirect you through the accident scene where I've got a helicopter landing.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:17:00 PM, Blogger LauraB said...

Snicker...oh, indeed - rich, that.

Mind you, I do hate being caught in downtown by a road block for some bike rally or another.

But how hard is it to make a right, 2 lefts and a right?

Of course, Trooper gets all up in arms when the hose draggers want to land the chopper in the street. Just the other day they were schooled in our small county, "There is a perfectly good pasture right over there. Keep this road open."

And then proceeded to bring in the chopper the old fashioned military hand signal way to the surprise of the HD's. School's out.

 
At Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:18:00 PM, Blogger MedicMatthew said...

This is why I hate people.
I have a Garmin Nuvi and I absolutely love it. If the air-head driver would hit the 'menu' button then tapped the 'detour' button it would have directed her around the accident scene.

 
At Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complete disrobing gets much better results! :)

 
At Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disrobing effect neutralized by age and weight.

 
At Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if you mace them, all of a sudden you're the bad guy

 
At Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Easily Lost said...

I never stop and ask for directions anymore, too many people like to use north and south and so forth, as the name implies, I am truly directionally challenged. But if you give me a map all is good.
Never tried a gps, if it gave directions such as left at the big oak, or right at the burned out house, I might just invest in one :D

 
At Monday, October 13, 2008 7:11:00 AM, Blogger Home on the Range said...

We had a bad event recently, WAY out in the country. The coroner got there ahead of me, as it was a 2 hour drive from my house on that day off. I saw the news helicopters buzzing around the corn like vultures from a distance but I was on a narrow two lane road with lots of opposite direction traffic AND some guy driving about 20 trying to gawk out the window at the action.

I guess he didn't notice the large black vehicle and the government plates on his bumper so I gave up and put on the portable lights on the roof and let her rip.

He pulled over.

 
At Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:25:00 AM, Blogger KD5NRH said...

How hard is it to just turn somewhere, drive until the GPS shows a new route that bypasses the blocked section, then start following its directions again?
If the roads are that confusing, every driving GPS I've used has some way to avoid a section of road; put in an avoid for the blocked area and it will make a new route that goes around it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.