Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, October 03, 2008

I know, I know. . .

I promised you content, yesterday.

The test went pretty well, because of last-second cramming. (Hey, it got me through my undergrad, why change?)

The House is developing. A porch has become a completely new room. The foundation is repaired, along with the slab leak that caused the problem. The termite dudes come out today. The roof is patched, supposedly well enough to give me another 5 years. The kitchen, hallway, entry, and guest bath are all floored with beautiful peacock slate. All of the popcorn is removed from the ceilings, the appliances have been replaced, and we've got a new garage door. The forty-some holes in the walls have been repaired, and the walls have been spackled, sanded, re-textured, and about half of them re-painted.

We have yet to: grout the slate (today), put in the bamboo flooring, tile the new sunroom, replace the kitchen or bathroom counters and sinks, and carpet the bedrooms. We still have to replace the garage door, frame in my wife's studio within the garage, acid-wash the stone fireplace, and paint and powerwash the outside.

Then we can move in. This month.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, October 03, 2008 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Crucis said...

Ya know, with all the work you've had to put in, the added, unexpected expense and all, wouldn't it have been better to have bought a new house or build one yourself?

My Daughter/SIL bought a "fixer upper" and ended up spending as much on repairs as they did for the original purchase.

 
At Friday, October 03, 2008 1:24:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

You'd think so, wouldn't you? :)

But I bought a house for just $10k more than the 1/4 acre lot it's sitting on. I'm literally replacing every square inch of surface within it, mostly with major upgrades that would cost big time to add to a new house. I'll have a studio for my wife built in (which won't come as an availible option on ANY new house), and a warranty on the foundation. I get the colors I want, and the looks I want. When finished, my total cost of the mortgage and cost of outlay will be about 1/3 less than the house is worth if I put it on the market, and this market is still pretty warm. It's actually a pretty decent investment in affordable (once we're done) housing.

 
At Friday, October 03, 2008 3:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see some pictures.
(if you don't mind showing it off when you're all done)

 
At Friday, October 03, 2008 7:30:00 PM, Blogger LauraB said...

If I might rain a little on the parade...bamboo flooring seems grand but if you aren't shoe removers at the door, it can get easily dinged.

We had it at the office in ATL and within a couple weeks high heels, dropped cups, rolling carts, etc. had all marred the surface.

Just a tip. Of course, if you already bought the stuff then...Never Mind! LOL

Still, good luck and congrats - hard work makes it so much more like Home.

 
At Saturday, October 04, 2008 7:36:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Laura B-- I would suppose that, as with everything else, there are varying grades of bamboo. This stuff has a 30 year finish warranty, and a lifetime structural warranty. I'm keeping my receipts. :)

(And, yes, I've already bought it all.)

 
At Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:04:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Congrats Matt! One step (actuallya lot more) closer to being HOME!

 
At Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:33:00 AM, Blogger HollyB said...

Can't wait to see it.

 
At Sunday, October 05, 2008 5:57:00 PM, Blogger 5150Wife said...

Wow, you really are busy. So, whatcha doin' hangin' out here in blogland? ;-)

I do hope you share some pics. Sounds like it's going to be super nice when you get it all spiffed up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.