Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Dayum.

I'm not much of a sports person, but I'm astonished that the sports broadcasts aren't plastering Dara Torres' story all over the airwaves.

The first U.S. swimmer to compete in her FIFTH Olympics, Dara Torres yesterday earned a silver medal for anchoring the 4×100 meters women's relay swimming event, at 41 years of age.

But she's not just a team event competitor; she's still got her chops on her own. Last year, she broke her own U.S. record in 50 m freestyle, a cool 26 years after she set the damn record. Then she did it again, on the same day.

Nine Olympic medals, and counting.

Oh yeah... and she's hawt.

Tell me again why the felonious football players get all the airtime on the sports broadcasts?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Monday, August 11, 2008 6:06:00 AM, Blogger Turk Turon said...

Yeah, she's hot!

I saw the same coverage on her. Forty-one and competitive in a young girls' sport.

And very attractive, too!

 
At Monday, August 11, 2008 7:53:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

My guess- Because she is a positive story, she will only get 15 seconds of fame... They can't drag all out the bad stuff she's done and play all the stereotype cards, since she is obviously NOT stereotypical.

As a friend in the media told me once, bad news, blood guts and feathers gets repeated play, good news gets one 30 sec and it's gone...

 
At Monday, August 11, 2008 8:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was a Big Deal here in the Omaha area at the Olympic Swim Trials.....

 
At Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:33:00 AM, Blogger George said...

Certainly, my congratulations to her and her team mates. In Canada and the US, I think we sometimes focus far too much on the Number One aspect of sports competition. No one else exists if they're not first.

In the world, there are millions of competitive swimmers ... of all ages and genders. There are hundreds of thousands who compete in relays. There are only thousands who compete at the national and international level. She and her three team mates were the second fastest of all those other swimmers.

I don't want to take anything away from the winners ... but damn ... being second in the world is pretty good.

Oh ... and she's really hot, too.

 
At Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, she is hot. Like cougar hot. But with a girl that fast how are you supposed to catch her? Seriously, I've enjoyed the Olympics this year more than last one in Athens. Don't know why, better coverage?

 
At Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:14:00 PM, Blogger Not Afraid to Use It said...

I love that she is competing. And I love that there is a 33 year old gymnast on the German team. Her last Olympics? 1992. Totally amazing. I wish they would give these women the props they deserve instead of focusing on all the negative.

 
At Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:49:00 AM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Oh, my.

I usually dig short (cute) hair on women, anyway...Major props for can-do attitude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.