Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Dial 911. Make a cop come.

I feel compelled, yet again, to beseech all of y'all to help remind our fellow citizens that, if your concern is worth waking up an off-duty officer whom you don't know at his house, then it's worth dialing 911 to summon an officer to your location. By way of illustration, I give you the following interaction, which has occurred at some point in the fairly recent past:

Stranger woman: [Banging on the door] Hello?

Me: [Sleepily answering the door] Do wha? Huh? Whaza? How kin ah he'p you?

SW: I saw the police car parked out front. Are you a police man?

Me: Uh huh. Whaza... What's going on?

SW: Well, I was at the park, and these dogs attacked me, and, and I feel silly not having called before-- this is the third time this has happened.

Me: Uh, did you call 911? [Gesturing to her iPhone in her hand.]

SW: Well, no, I didn't know the number to the police department. So I went to the police department, and no one was there, and...

Me: Why not call 911?

SW: Well, I just didn't think it would be that important....

Me: Ma'am, I can assure you that there is nothing more important than the safety of our citizens. If you're attacked, please call 911 immediately. As it's now passed, please call the non-emergency number (posted on the door to the police department) to make a report to the on-duty officer.

SW: But I didn't think it would be important enough to call 911 about.

Me: But you felt it was important enough to wake up a sleeping off-duty cop to report it, even after the fact, at his house...?

SW: Well, I hadn't thought about that.

Me: [Yawning.] Lemme give you that non-emergency number.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, August 18, 2008 5:29:00 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said...

Oh geez! Hope you got back to sleep!

 
At Monday, August 18, 2008 7:42:00 AM, Blogger none said...

That just sucks. Reminds me of the 3am silly non emergency calls I got as a computer tech.

 
At Monday, August 18, 2008 4:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeze ... you need to post the dispatch number on your door to keep idiots from bothering you at night?

 
At Monday, August 18, 2008 11:10:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

Idiots are everywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.