Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Oh! So that's what y'all were talking about.

The nice thing about the world that we currently live in is that I can watch a show that everyone's been talking about at my leisure. . . in theory.

In theory, I could just set my digital video recorder to record it, and watch it later, but I haven't bought one yet. Been meaning to, but I haven't.

In theory, I just order it on DVD as soon as it comes out. But that's usually after the season's over, and the hubub about a show dies down, and I forget. Also, I'm bad about forgetting ever to visit the NetFlix queue, which for some reason my wife has control over. (You don't want to even know what assaults have been launched against my manhood by that misstep.)

So, the other day, it was a strange confluence of events when I happened to be making my wife some coffee while she was loading up more Dawson's Creek episodes (ack! Hack! Blech!) up to the queue of DVDs to be mailed to us, and she said, "Anything you'd like me to stick on here?"

I panicked. I almost never had been asked. My mind raced, and I grasped for the name of a show that I'd heard was good, but had never seen. Best make it a series... I might not get this chance for a while (I kid, I kid-- my wife is very gracious. Aren't you, my love?).

"Uh, I've heard that show Firefly was good... could we put it on?" I said as I brought her a cuppa.

Well, that sounded girlie enough, I guess. It passed muster without inspection.

Yesterday, the red envelopes came, and we watched the pilot to the science fiction western libertarian flick.

Visually rich. Nice little plot. Good characterization. Clever lines.

Well, better late than never. (Firefly was cancelled after 14 episodes in 2004, and a movie, Serenity, came out the following year.)

What fun. I'll save the movie for last. Something to look forward to.

But I ask you: in a market that can support umpteen seasons of drivel, how is it that a show with an Emmy award and two Hugo nominations couldn't seem to get a second season? Are we hurting that badly for another reality show? For another frickin' medical drama?

This is (in part) why I don't watch TV anymore.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Thursday, July 03, 2008 12:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming out of lurk mode to say, Welcome to the 'Verse, Matt G! I think you'll be right at home here.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Browncoat rebellion.

By the end of the series you will be seriously questioning the sanity of the executives at Fox that not only showed it out of order, but canceled it mid season.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:06:00 PM, Blogger Captain Tightpants said...

I can relate - I almost never catch TV (midnight shift, two young children, and a dislike for spoon-fed drivel...) - we finally watched Firefly & Serenity last year on the same sort of whim & now I LOVE it...

Stick with it sir, you shall be impressed.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:07:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Firefly is one of those series that gets better every time you watch it. Fox really did us a disservice by canceling it for yet another reality show.

Whedon, the guy who did Firefly, is working on a show called Dollhouse that's supposed to start in Jan 2009.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:24:00 PM, Blogger The Lily said...

*deep breath* ACTUALLY. It was cancelled after 11 episodes, three of the 14 were never aired including the pilot that the network though was too long and didn't have enough action. Whedon instead aired The train job as thepilot and the network cancelled the tvseries anyway in an astonishing lack of vision and creativity. The DVDseriesremains todayonthebestsellers list even 6 years after the seriesfirst aired*INHALE

Yeah. I might be a fan.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 6:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever manage to get a second stab at choosing, I believe "Spaced: The complete series" has just been released your side of the pond.

Highly recommended, if you can cope with a slightly quirky britcom.

You can then segue nicely via the Pegg/Frost/Wright connection onto "Hot Fuzz" - a gritty, honest, true to life portrayal of every day British rural policing. (Cough). Honest guv'...

Spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_qSGY_cefE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5B8sSBkRF0

HTH,

Jim

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:22:00 PM, Blogger LawDog said...

You've not seen Firefly before now?!

Oh, the humanity.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008 10:34:00 PM, Blogger RugbyGirlMD said...

Firefly only gets better from the first episode.
Enjoy!

 
At Friday, July 04, 2008 7:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can usually pick up the entire season on amazon for around $17, should you want to add it to your collection.

Now go forth and watch the new series of Battlestar Galactica. You'll be wringing your hands in frustration after the pilot just knowing that we're now in the fourth and final season...

 
At Friday, July 04, 2008 7:04:00 AM, Blogger breda said...

a new Browncoat! Shiny!

 
At Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:28:00 AM, Blogger mdmnm said...

Yeah, watch the episodes in order. One of the real joys of the series is how the characterization builds and develops.

Like you, I was one of those who came to it on DVD and had to wonder why the heck it got canceled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.