Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hot

Inside of the vest is like a sauna. Some idjit at the NIJ decided that their standards needed to include that the vests be waterproof, because Kevlar no workee so good when it's wet. Well here's a clue, y'all-- I don't workee so good when I'm wearing a plastic bag. The idjitry continues, as the People at Point Blank decided to put their 4" X 6" ID tags with bar code and size and level and name and serial number on the back side of the vest panels. Not on the outside, but on the side facing me. So what material did they decide to use?


Oh, yeah-- that's plastic, baby. Not noted for its breathability. And look! The ink on it runs. How special.

I'm washing the vest carrier every day, now. During the winter, I can get a couple of weeks between swapping carriers out for washing. Bah.

But the good part of summer is that we've got vine-ripened tomatoes. The sleepy kids sitting at the fresh veggie stand on the corner are doing land-office business, supplementing garden truck tomatoes, due to some perceived danger from commercial tomatoes. (The flavor of the week seems to be salmonella.) Our garden is well underway, with most of the plants having survived my 6 year-old's attempt to help the cause by spraying them with OFF! bug spray last month. It stunted the plants a tad, but they seem to have recovered.

My wife has been making sourdough bread boules, with crisp crusts. Sandwiches made with lightly-salted thick slices of vine-ripened tomatoes, slices of Cabot's Vermont extra sharp white cheddar cheese, a smear of Kraft Mayonesa (it's just their regular mayo, with lime replacing the lemon, and it's tasty), and a dusting of fresh-cracked pepper are worth eating.

So good are such sandwiches, in fact, that I find myself considering how lucky I am to live in a hot clime where we have such an abundance of vine-ripened backyard truck. At least the hot winds keep the salt shakers from clogging.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:06:00 PM, Blogger Murphy said...

Thought of perhaps purchasing an extra vest carrier or two? Can you even do that, buy it separate from the inserts?

 
At Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Melody Byrne said...

Would your wife be willing to share her sourdough recipe? Pretty please?

 
At Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:27:00 AM, Blogger EE said...

I feel ya.

 
At Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:56:00 PM, Blogger makeumdothechicken said...

Let us know if the mosquitoes leave you alone after you eat those tomatoes.

We are issued Gator Hawk Armor and they come with an extra carrier. Even with a fresh carrier they are still hot and miserable but considerably less so than a handgun round in your torso. I wear plain old white cotton t-shirts underneath the vest. Some guys wear that under armor stuff. I tried it and it felt like wet panty hose sticking to my chest all night. Not a bad thing under some circumstances but in this instance it's not a desirable texture of feeling in a work setting.

 
At Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:00:00 PM, Blogger 5150Wife said...

I know what you mean about the vest. Well, no, not really since I don't wear one. But I sure hear enough about it from my own JD.

Do you wear a t-shirt or something underneath as a barrier between you & the plastic? We use Hot Gear and Cold Gear for the times of year when temps are extreme. Seems to help a little, with wicking and all.

Whatever you do, please don't give it up. It sure beats the hell out of the alternative.

Stay safe!

 
At Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you bastard. I WOULD come here right as I'm waiting on my not-very-exciting frozen chicken Kiev, which I'm only eating because I'm starving...

 
At Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:27:00 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Matt,
Look around the local grocery stores and see if you can find Duke's Mayo.
Bread and items to put between the slices are only carriers for Duke's.
Finest Kind.

P.S. Living in South East Alaska, the only tomatoes that we can get are the hard, orange, crunchy types.
Ugh.

 
At Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:32:00 AM, Blogger breda said...

I doubt that delicious-sounding mayonesa can be found here. =(

 
At Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Only two things that money can't buy/ And that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
Can't remember the rest of the song or the composer.

LittleRed1

 
At Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:26:00 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Homegrown Tomatoes - Greg Brown

 
At Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I would love to check out the mayonesa. Maybe I can find some the next time I head over to Texas or Mexico. I strongly suggest that you try out some Tabasco Mayo. It is made with Duke's mayo. I had a friend from Lafayette, LA bring me some and my wife and family love it for BLT's and potato salad. I have had to start ordering it by the case from Tabasco, as it is only available in LA, AFAIK.

 
At Monday, June 23, 2008 8:30:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

PERCEIVED danger?! I was exposed two weeks ago, and I'm still not 100% yet- and my 4.0 graduate GPA may be gone because of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.