Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Follow-Up To: ""Baby, the sun is over the yardarm early today.'"

At about 2:15 PM, I showed up at Dad's and poured us each about a finger's worth of The MacAllan 18 Year Old Scotch Whiskey. If you're a fan of Scotch, or even if you're not, and you haven't tried the pride of Craigellachie, Moray, of the Speyside region of the highlands of Scotland, than I submit that you've never really given good Scotch a chance. This particular bottle was casked in 1979 and bottled in 1997, and was presented to me by my friend Bill (thanks, Bill!) on the occasion of my birthday, some years back.

I don't drink from it often. In fact, I've had that bottle for a decade, now. Most drinks I've taken from it, I've also poured one for my father. Just before retiring on a good hunting trip, or on momentous occasions, usually.

Today was a day worth pouring from that bottle.

Having had a short dram each, and a spot of conversation, we picked up a Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS at Cabella's. I was HIGHLY impressed at how easy it was to use, on our ride back home. Very intuitive to use. Dad and I bought a Garmin 12 GPS in 1997 for an elk hunting trip, and the state of the art has come a long way. At $169, it's a hella good deal.

I also bought some factory .380 acp ammo, and some factory .38 Special ammo, to feed my P3AT and my Airweight Chief during upcoming quals. I was shocked to find that UMC .38 Spl was more expensive than Remington Express. I've always thought of UMC as the bargain brand for Remington. Huh.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, June 27, 2008 9:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an Islay man myself, but that right there is a good Scotch.

And I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only celebrating yesterday with Scotch Whisky.

 
At Friday, June 27, 2008 1:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the Metro D.C. area, I and a few fellow Northern Virginians went to the local indoor pistol range to fire off 100 rounds each.

No air conditioning on a 95 degree day, but worth it, even in our suits, when Washington Post editors started calling me, while I'm on the firing line.

Answer the phone, tuck it up under my hearing muffs, and tell the line who's on the phone. "Are you at a FIRING RANGE...?" (Chuckling but not gloating... well, OK, gloating.)

Tell said editors - yup, they speaker phoned it to disbelieving employees - after reading the first 65 pages of the opinion, Scalia's crafted the individual right part like a swiss watch. Then I had to go celebrate on a firing range.

Afterward we all adjourned to a friends pub where we lifted a dram of blended English whisky, acknowledging the opinion's references to the common law and practices of When It Was Great Britain. Then Guinness, steaks, and a Partagas.

'Twas a good beginning, but only a beginning.

 
At Sunday, June 29, 2008 12:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A quick note about those GPS systems: The Nuvi 200 and 200W are discontinued and are being replaced by the newer 205 and 205W. If you're going to go out and get one of the older models, get it now while the price has been reduced and it is still in stock.

 
At Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:06:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Ohhhh... good stuff! I did see a bottle of 25 year old The MacAllan, but it was $6000 so I passed. I'm on the road and the response here in Hawaii has been interesting, to put it mildly. I hope I can celebrate like JEG did this weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.