Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Not to leave the elder daughter out, she went shooting, too.

I took my elder daughter out shooting last Sunday, with .22 rifle.

We're still just having fun, not being serious about anything except safety, but I'm slowly slipping in some lessons on position, and sights.
She shot a lot with my old Remington bolt rifle, which is scoped nowadays. She enjoyed using a scoped firearm for the first time. After she had loaded and unloaded about 50 rounds through it, shooting metal pipes and steel swinging targets, I pressed her for time, telling her to bolt it and fire a little faster. Then I gave her my late grandfather's tired old Marlin, with the open iron sights. As I've said, those aren't the best sights in the world, but she was surprised (and I was not) that she was able, when pressed to shoot faster, to make hits faster and more reliably with the iron sighted rifle.

On the way home, we picked flowers for her mother. (It was Mother's day.)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 19, 2008 5:37:00 PM, Blogger Assrot said...

My oldest daughter just had her 35th birthday. She lives about 350 miles from my house and I couldn't get away to go visit.

She just graduated from college with a BBA so I was just there a couple of weeks ago.

I've been asking her about whether she was keeping up her shooting and self defense skills that I taught her when she was a young one. She says "Yes Dad. You always drilled that into both us girls and it has paid off more than once." She told me how glad she was that I taught her to take care of herself and make a living so she does not have to depend on anyone if it comes down to brass tacks.

I miss my kids being at home even though the youngest left 13 years ago. Seeing all you bloggers out there with young kids gives me a little deja vu'. I think back to those days and smile.

I think I'll go get my grandkids to spend a week here next month while they are out of school for the summer. They could both probably use some range time and I could surely use some quality time with them.

I hope you and your kids maintain as good a relationship as I have with mine. It was a little tough through the teen years. That's when they truly need a parent and not just a friend that let's them get away with everything.

Good luck to you and yours. I hope you enjoy your times together. They go by so fast. Kids grow up in the wink of an eye.

Have a good night,

Joe

 
At Monday, May 19, 2008 6:45:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Great Post Matt! Thanks for teaching your daughters the right way :-)

When they are grown and gone, like mine are, you will know they can protect themselves!

 
At Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:23:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

coolness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.