Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fun with kids' education

My 9 year-old daughter has a report that she has to give orally tomorrow on James K. Polk. She's been making note cards all week.

As her history-inspired daddy, I must help her in conveying what a dastard Polk was, yet also how beneficial he was in contributing to this nation's imperialist expansion manifest destiny.

Also, I get to burn her a song onto CD to play for her presentation, the greatness of They Might Be Giants playing "James K. Polk."

I hope they don't mind that it's followed by "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," "The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas," "Particle Man," and "Fish Heads." ;)

'Cause it's educational.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:32:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

I HATE "Fish Heads". My mother had the Dr. Demento CDs, and would play them over and over and over and over (you get the idea), and she knew how much it irritated me, so she'd sing along. GAH!

 
At Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a hopeless geek who could sing "Make A Little Birdhouse In Your Soul" by heart at age fifteen, I APPROVE OF YOUR PLAN.

 
At Friday, May 16, 2008 1:14:00 AM, Blogger Robert said...

That Fish Heads video was strange, though not the strangest video I've ever seen. That title goes to Mathew Barney's Cremaster 3. By the end of watching that (I was forced to during an Art 301 class), I was ready to do violence to myself, perhaps with a dull spoon.

 
At Friday, May 16, 2008 6:58:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

And the geek gene progresses through another generation, bringing hope with it..

Good work. You're a gentleman and a scholar, no matter what Tam and LawDog say about you.

 
At Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous choice of music. Hats off!

 
At Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:12:00 AM, Blogger GUYK said...

I see Polk as a man of his times..and not so different from politicians of this era. He saw a chance to make a land grab and did so..I think though that the men of Polk's day had a better understanding of who owns the land than those of us today..see, the land has always and always will belong to whover can take it and hold it..and when those who have it are no longer willing or are unable to defend it someone else is gonna take it..and that is the way it is..we can draw all kinds of moral judgements but in the end it is not who is right or wrong but who wins that controls the land..and I reckon Jackson and Polk knew this

 
At Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:14:00 PM, Blogger John B said...

wow, I haven't heard They Might Be Giants in more years than your daughter has lived. My fault, there's just so much good stuff out there, some of it gets lost. Like my 200 CD sony changer.

But frankly if I sent my kid to school with Blue Oyster Cult, and Judas Priest to illustrate the mood of the Reagan Years....

They'd come after me for multiple counts of child abuse.....

 
At Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Rogue Medic said...

Teaching with music?

Heresy.

We must use the Fahrenheit 451 method of instruction. Rote memorization of everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.