Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Random pics of my dad shooting

Dad has decided to let down the veil enough to be seen. If you live in our area, and shoot, you know who he is already. And, it stands to reason, you probably know me. ;)

I still haven't really gotten my desktop online, so the hundreds of other pics on it are just going to have to go unshown. But I've got a few on my laptop, and, because I've got nothing else to say, figured I'd show y'all some pics.

This is Dad making ready at the line, while shooting his new Colt WWI repro 1911 in an IDPA match in September 2007. Those who are in the know will recognize the significance of the orange shirt he's wearing, which he picked up while attending Gunsite under Jeff Cooper in 1980.

Note the range master's monster magazine funnel is empty. This was a cold range, requiring the unnecessary administrative loading and unloading for every stage. This is a silly rule that brings pistol matches to a crawl, while providing no extra margin of safety. It creates a situation where shooters unnecessarily must manipulate their pistols more than they should have to. A better solution: make the rule that all firearms stay holstered during the match, except at the line or at the safe area.

- - -

This is Dad shooting his new round butt S&W Model 21 .44 Special that he and John Shirley worked out a deal on. This is an imminently carriable, superb personal defense weapon. It didn't quite suit John-- it does Dad. It's basically the same revolver as the Thunder Ranch M21-4, but it's a little less spendy.

- - -


Here's a pic of Dad testing that Colt WWI repro 1911, right when he first got it. He's shooting it in the old one-handed style (which he's never favored). Note the case in flight-- the slide is almost back into battery.
- - -
Edited to make pictures expandable.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:58:00 AM, Blogger Don said...

Complete with awesome flap holster!

Your dad is pretty cool.

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:17:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

I figured JPG as pretty much the target market for Clint Smith's .44 M&P revival movement. I loves mine to death, and have gushed about it to him on the phone more than once...

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like that Ford is down range of the firing line in that last shot...

Matt
St Paul

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:27:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Cool pics of a wonderful man. I recognize one of those places, too.

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:56:00 PM, Blogger Old NFO said...

I'm envious in more ways than one! sigh... Family, good guns, shooting... :-)
Thanks for sharing!

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:12:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

"Seems like that Ford is down range of the firing line in that last shot..."

It was, but then, it was ours. The range was a closed private range. That pickup has had more that a few rounds fired across its hood, bed, and over door creases. It's a useful tool, but it's just a thing, and we don't mind letting it be slightly forward of the firing line, so long as it's not actually fired at, you understand. :)

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:54:00 PM, Blogger JPG said...

Yeah, what Tams said - -

Her good reviews of her M21-4 pretty well decided me to find one of my own. It was just a matter of time, and then John was looking for something I had, and he had this .44, see . . . .

I haven't loaded and .44 SPL in several years, but I found my Dillon 550 toolhead wih the .44 mag dies in place. I also had a coffee can full of the old Keith-Lyman 429421 long-nosed bullets. Now all I have to do is locate at least a couple of hundred SPL cases I KNOW are here somewhere.

My revolver shoots the Remington factory load quite well. It's a 246 round nose rated at around 760 from a 6-inch barrel. Accurate, but a very soft load. I know I can do better, safely, with a better-designed bullet.
JPG

 
At Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..We don't mind letting it be slightly forward of the firing line, so long as it's not actually fired at, you understand. :)

Gotcha! I've got a pic on the fridge of my dad, brother and I aiming, Starsky & Hutch style, over the hood, roof and trunk of one of my old Caprices-we shot plenty of times from behind that.

Matt
St Paul

 
At Monday, April 14, 2008 1:19:00 PM, Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

I'm really glad it worked for you, jpg. You know you're one of my favorite people.

Yer son ain't bad, either. ;-)

 
At Monday, April 14, 2008 2:56:00 PM, Blogger JPG said...

John R. - -
Yeah, I'm sort of partial to him myself. And that .44 is about to become even more fun. I went to Dallas Market Hall Gun Show yesterday and putchased 200 bram-gnu Star Line cases, and I'm about to start stuffing Unique into 'em.

Of course, this virtually ensures that NOW I'll run across a stash of my old brass. That's okay: I have plenty of bullets and primers and a decent stock of powder. ;)

 
At Monday, April 14, 2008 4:08:00 PM, Blogger Assrot said...

Your dad reminds me so much of my dad that its uncanny. They don't look the same in the face but if you saw them side by side from the front, back or side, you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

Judging from you dad's writing, he and my dad also think a lot alike. Both well spoken, easy going guys but also both tough as nails and don't take any crap from any one.

We all have the same last name and if I'm not mistaken we are all either from Georgia or are descendants of people from Georgia.

It's kind of spooky if you ask me.

Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.