Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

[Beep. Beep. Beep...] How do I back this thing up?

I just found the following at ColtCCO's place:

Effing Dreamhost/Wordpress
ate my entire blog.
Posted by ColtCCO on April 30th, 2008 filed in Uncategorized Comment now »
The whole thing. Didn’t backup on upgrade to 2.5.1 like it said it would. Directory
emptied, unrecoverable. Dreamhost says it’s not their fault, they didn’t do it, they didn’t mean to, they’ll never do it again, and I can’t prove anything anyway.
How angry am I? I say, “fiddlesticks” and by “fiddlesticks”, I mean the foulest sort of profanity that it does no good to type here.

Newbeginning now I guess. Could have done without losing 2 years of
blogging. Motherfiddlesticks.
ColtCCO



I really hadn't much thought of that occurance, before.... I might need to take action to avoid it.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Gay_Cynic said...

Backup = Good.

I learned this after a couple of imploded HDD and assorted attached bad owies. Note for those who've not yet had this joy - projected HDD life is 3-5 years under normal use, some run shorter, some run longer.

If you want to be sure, back up to your local HDD, then burn a copy to something reasonably non-volatile like a CD.

Bummer about ColtCCO...happens I like his writing.

 
At Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:59:00 AM, Blogger crossboy said...

It'll still be a little fiddly if your blog ever does go down, but I have every post I write set up to be automatically emailed to me as well. It gets sent as soon as you post it though, so any subsequent revisions won't make it to your inbox. Still better than losing everything though!

 
At Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:33:00 AM, Blogger Ron said...

Check out http://blogackuponline.com

 
At Thursday, May 01, 2008 9:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dreamhost doesn't do account backups? If not, I'd switch to a host that doesn't exhibit the same level of suckitude.

 
At Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All better now - I found a helpful person at Dreamhost. He even did the work for me, restored the database, and got a new Wordpress install to synch with it.

I'd have posted about it on the blog, but since the rant turned out to be invalid, I didn't want to reference it and have a rant about Dreamhost on the 'net for posterity. Plus, I'm tired of the subject after restoring all that crap. Thanks for the well-wishes and ego-petting, tho.

ColtCCO

 
At Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:18:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

gee whiz - that's disappointing news, but glad the problem was solved, ultimately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.