Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Checkers Speech, again.

Did anyone else have a flashback when they heard Hillary Clinton say:

"I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind
of greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down
to get into the vehicles to get to our base."


Because I thought back to Richard M. Nixon's Checkers Speech, when he said:

Then, in 1942, I went into the service. Let me say that my service record was not a particularly unusual one. I went to the South Pacific. I guess I'm entitled to a couple of battle stars. I got a couple of letters of commendation. But I was just there when the bombs were falling.
It later turned out Tricky Dicky hadn't seen any action, as a supply officer in the South Pacific.
But that was just a tiny part of his amazing speech, in which Nixon was running for his political life. He was tapdancing, and quickly. Eisenhower was about to drop him from the ticket as his running mate, and Nixon was performing an end-around, appealing to the voters. Those who say Nixon was ignorant in the use of television and broadcast seem to forget that he was simulcasting this speech on television and radio, for the first time ever.

But what worked for that shady (Republican) man did NOT work for a shady (Democrat) woman, over half a century later.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Sunday, March 30, 2008 8:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, lying in the age of bloggers and numerous sources of news is a bit more tricky...

 
At Monday, March 31, 2008 10:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....and we are a bit more circumspective than we were then.... well, some of us, anyway. There are still those who vote based on a letter......

 
At Monday, March 31, 2008 5:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was under heavy fire walking into the PD to work tonight....or maybe not, I don't remember....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.